Elephant garlic going to seed

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Noticed a few of mine starting to blow. I have watered but possibly Insufficiently as the past couple of weeks have been very dry and our soil dries out very quickly.
Will giving them all a really good soak now help prevent most of them now going to seed or is this probably inevitable?
Westi
KG Regular

I don't know Primrose but I've had to nip flower buds off my onions from sets as well, especially the brown ones. I will just be vigilant & keep my fingers crossed, but nature kindly gave them a big hour long downpour complete with thunder & lightening this afternoon so that might stall them. I'm impressed by their size for this time of the year but that aren't anywhere big enough. Fingers crossed for both of us!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I've had to pull a few seed heads of my onions but only three up to date , we had rain forecast for eight and nine o'clock then it was cancelled but the skies are very dark and ominous at present
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Primrose,
elephant garlic whilst not a true garlic grows in the same way as a hardneck type and so produces a flower head as part of it's normal growing cycle. For larger cloves you can remove the flower head but they are rather pretty and do not seem to reduce the yield much for me so I tend to leave them. That said, if you are in an area that is marginal for garlic then do remove the flowers.
Regards Sally Wright.
kindler
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice!
I've been looking for a review on car seat guard. Now I finally found it! Looking forward to trying it. Can't wait!
Muddyboot68
KG Regular

I agree with sally, it seems to make no difference. I did leave one in for another season and compared to the one's I lifted it was double the size
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic