Broad beans

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allotmentkid
KG Regular

My overwintering broad beans have started to flower. Do I cut this main stem off or leave alone? Thank you.
Primrose
KG Regular

Alas I've never had this problem so can't advise. Possibly one of the newer problems we will start to come across with warmer autumns and global warming. The danger of course, is that the climate won't stay temperate enough for long enough for flowers to develop and bees to pollinate in cold weather to produce of whatever kind so my instinct would be to remove the flowers. However, I don't know whether this would prevent the plant from flowering again later at a more appropriate time and still bearing a crop.

Over to the experts I'm afraid. Possibly similar to advising people to remove all the tiny figs from their bushes now because they won't develop into a viable crop later?
Westi
KG Regular

My broad beans did the same, I was going to try to protect them and see what I got & even if tiny you can eat them whole, but the rain lately did me no favours and they collapsed and the stems went black. I have a couple that have popped up among other crops with wee beans on them, so I would have succeeded with something.

I'm not sure they would flower again or if they did flower the crop might be sparse as the plant has used a lot of energy in flowering and has a long time in the ground in bad weather. If you've got the space maybe sow a fresh crop and see if you can protect & pamper these into something edible.
Westi
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Mine would be hard pressed - they are still in the packet. Too early sowing, November is the norm.
hzbzsz
KG Regular

My broad beans are flowering profusely as of this week, but I am a long way south !
I gave up planting in autumn as it was too much trouble keeping them upright even in a walled garden the wind would wreak havoc, so this year I raised a square metre with lots of compost for good drainage, and planted with fingers crossed in mid August hoping to avoid rot. It worked nicely and I chose a dwarf variety too.
So I should have broad beans before long. Can't wait, they are so nice fresh.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." Cicero
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I quite like autumn sown crops, because it reduces the panic in spring !

I always thought that the aim of overwintering broad beans was to time the sowing so that they emerge, and grow only to a few inches high before top growth slows over winter. In the mean time, whilst not doing much above ground they are establishing a decent root system ready to take off when spring comes. The traditional timing is November (in UK at least :D ). They will come up, honest. I have had them just emerging when the ground has frozen, and they still grow on OK. More or less the same goes for onions and garlic.

If sown too early they will grow too tall and get blown everywhere, and more likely get damage / fungal infection to the lower stem as a result.
Allotmentkid
KG Regular

Thank you. I will resow.
Compo
KG Regular

Mine have suffered in the snow, they were 10-20 cm high and are now looking a little sad and droopy with the thaw, do folk think they will recover or should I quickly sow some more.

Ps Nice to be back I haven't really been anywhere just on here less, will try and come back more
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Monika
KG Regular

Nice to have you back, Compo. Apropos your broad beans: I would think they will recover but would be inclined to sow more 'just in case'.
Compo
KG Regular

Yes I have the seed so why not, I plant them in modules and have to hang the modules in nets in the greenhouse otherwise the mice have a field day!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome back!

They are pretty hardy but the weight of the snow probably split the stems a bit bending them over so likely to let disease into those as it warms. Resow I'd say & yes the mice are well pesky down here as well - my early ones completely disappeared so I'm with you on the re-sow but I may try it outside again with more protection - with the backup crop in the greenhouse when the replacement plastic sheets come to replace the 3 full glass panes that succumbed to the snow, the rouge pumpkin & the cat!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic