No late tomatoes for me this autumn

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Normally at this time of year my outdoor tomato plants would be valiantly bearing 5th or more truss flowers. (I never nip the later trusses out but let them do their best until the weather turns). However this year all my upper truss flowers beyond the third (or possibly fourth truss seem to have completely died. Not a single plant of any variety has any late flowers. I,m wondering if the development of them may have been halted by our earlier mini heatwave.

Is anybody else suffering a similar problem?
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Nope mine are still growing side shoots and new flowers, I guess we haven't had the same heat you have in the deep south.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose!

My outdoor toms are flowering well & growing away and have quite a bit of fruit - but I haven't one ripe one yet! Except for the self sown cherries which as usual just plod on blight or not giving me loads of fruit. As I use the compost from the heap they are spreading further each year but happy to let them have a long tenancy as an insurance policy.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, my early planted Moneymaker have done this but, mine is down to early blight.....luckily, my later planted Gardeners Delight, are still growing well.... they have missed the late blight so far and this is good, as there is blight on other allotment plots.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic