Watering tomatoes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Gerry
KG Regular

I grow my tomatoes in the central bed of my tunnel. I have 6" drain cut into 8" lengths and each has two half inch scalops on opposing sides at the bottom so that they sit over a soaker hose. I plant into multi purpose compost in these and feed once per week into the rings. The only "straight" water they get is through the soaker hose. I do try not to water too much as I believe this adversely effects the taste.
Regards,
Gerry.
hilary
KG Regular

A good tip is to leave the watering can in the greenhouse to warm the water a bit before applying to the soil. I sink plastic bottles in beside each plant to get the water to the roots and then surface feed.
Hope helps
Hilary
Primrose
KG Regular

I grow my tomatoes in a south facing border against a fence. As the soil here is very light and quick drying I also grow them over a trench of filled in kitchen waste and lawn mowings whixh have been allowed to compost down over winter so that the roots hopefully have a good source of retained moisture around them. In hot periods i will water them most days in the evenings or mornings being carefully to direct hose or watering can directly at the roots, avoiding the leaves.

I think it's a question of getting to know your soil and recognising when your plants start to look a little stressed. In my view it's probably better to give a good soaking less often so the area around the roots is well moistened , than to give a too light dribble every day where moisture merely lingers around the surface and dries out too quickly without reaching the deeper roots.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic