What's Happenin'?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KG Tony
KG Regular

Well, the days are getting shorter and the clocks go back this weekend!

But I'm sure there's plenty happening.

What are you planning for the following months outside and in?

My broad bean plants are just emerging now in cell trays and will be planted in the polytunnel soon...
Monika
KG Regular

With only leeks and a few brassicas remaining on our small garden plot at the moment, now we longer have an allotment, I intend to clear it all, dig it over, get it nicely frosted, then spread the manure and cover it all with black plastic to let the worms do their job. But the indoor fun will be the planning for next year! Garlic and shallots are already planted individually in the unheated greenhouse to see the winter through before being planted outside in spring.
Westi
KG Regular

My first winter with the tunnel so well excited about the possibilities so have got some salad crops showing, still waiting for the vines to die down on the sweet potatoes so big space wasted but will rest it probably, got Raddicho & Endive which has jumped the gun & quite big, sown some spinach & 2 Kalette plants have popped up in the wrong place so nurturing them through along with the peppers & chilli still. Outside I have the usual - leeks, cabbages, cauliflowers, spring greens, kale, some Chinese crops for leaves (very eaten by flea beetle), turnips, swede, spring onions, & some stuff that shouldn't be happy this time of year like French Beans still cropping.

I'm finding the seasons weird to be honest, but day length & light levels will hopefully put the plants back into the zone & I'll be able to feed, cover & rest some beds!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Actually managed to grow four decent cauliflower this year. :D

All arrived at the same day! :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Diane
KG Regular

Finished planting out the foxgloves in the borders and have a nice crop of Chinese greens in the greenhouse. Folk all around are giving away apples galore so I've been freezing apple sauce and making apple cakes. Next half decent day will find us covered with muck as it's pond cleaning time.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
paulw60
KG Regular

when we get a dry day haa haa, onions ( red,white inc ailsa craig) garlic ( provenance and elephant) to plant this week.
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Stephen
KG Regular

"What's Happenin'?"
Away from the 'lottie plenty, but on the various places I garden (not just the 'lottie) it is mostly clearing of those crops which are over.
But, garlic, shallots, onions and broad beans to go in so there is a shortage of space already. Partly because I plan to create a new asparagus bed and have yet to dig over the old one (there's a job to do!)

Manure delivery is due, so there is also a lot to barrow from 'lottie to garden for the plan to replant the rhubarb. That's three or four journeys. It is 15 minutes walk each way (maybe a bit longer with the barrow) plus loading time - obviously unloadings hould be quicker!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
paulw60
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:"What's Happenin'?"
Away from the 'lottie plenty, but on the various places I garden (not just the 'lottie) it is mostly clearing of those crops which are over.
But, garlic, shallots, onions and broad beans to go in so there is a shortage of space already. Partly because I plan to create a new asparagus bed and have yet to dig over the old one (there's a job to do!)

Manure delivery is due, so there is also a lot to barrow from 'lottie to garden for the plan to replant the rhubarb. That's three or four journeys. It is 15 minutes walk each way (maybe a bit longer with the barrow) plus loading time - obviously unloadings hould be quicker!

wow you are going to be busy!! Know the feeling about barrow. when we built our raised beds, we had to move 9 tonne of top soil to back garden, all we had were black builders buckets!!
thought there was light at the end of the tunnel, but it was somebody with a torch bring more work!!
Stephen
KG Regular

we had to move 9 tonne of top soil to back garden, all we had were black builders buckets!

Phew!
How were your backs afterwards?
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Still to harvest lots of brassicas, leeks, swedes and parsnips. Garlic already planted outside. Lots of herbs and salads growing or planned under cover (see Winter Growing thread). Somehow I have to find a way to replace the boards that terrace my tunnel whilst it is full of these salad crops. Need a new plan for 2020 as onions have become impossible with white rot everywhere so will have to fill their space with something. Probably more cut and dried flowers which have been successful the last couple of years. Away from the veg plot I've been filling five builders' bags (actually six as a neighbour is filling one, I found he was taking leaves to the tip, what a waste!) to make leaf mould for compost mixes. Still have three varieties of apple and one of pear to harvest. I have a flower border full of couch grass that I am going to have to tackle Autumn or Winter.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Going down the A1 the other day there was a van with wire mesh covered back which was spewing out it's load of leaves.
edenhorticultural
KG Regular

I am planning for new plants, Mint & Rosemary.
paulw60
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:
we had to move 9 tonne of top soil to back garden, all we had were black builders buckets!

Phew!
How were your backs afterwards?

ached a bit!! we done it over a few days so wasn't too bad, the thought of a 'homebrew at the end of each day kept us going!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic