Top tips to start seed off

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've tried trenching and self blanching in the past. The trenched was ok but I didn't get the nice fat sticks you get with bought ones and it had a strong flavour. Slugs were a big problem too. The little tiny ones hid inside the stalks.

The self blanching were easier to deal with and less strongly flavoured but again the stalks were thinner than bought ones. Nice in soup and stews though.
robo
KG Regular

The last time I grew it I wrapped it in brown paper and filled the trench in as the celery increased in size , don't know we're I can get brown paper from these days
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It was wrapping it in paper that made the slug nest.
robo
KG Regular

The last time I grew it there was no such thing as slugs ,as I said it was a while ago
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Was there ever a time when there wasn't a slug problem Robo? You can't be so old.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't like the self blanching, last time I grew it the kids guinea pigs got it all, same with celtuce, I too am on the last chance saloon with celeriac, if it doesnae come to anything this year I shall abandon it and buy it from the farmers market. I did think I might try trench stuff, just to see how I get on, never grown it yet.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Slugs have seen off my swede & celeriac plants, normally they don't touch them, but have had quite the feast this year. Only re-sown the swede, as I'm not that keen on celeriac although I had a pretty good crop last year it wasn't that tasty.
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Slugs with Celery can be combatted with genuine coal soot but where the hell can you get coal soot today!
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Slugs with Celery can be combatted with genuine coal soot but where the hell can you get coal soot today!

From my stove, or from the can out side where I put it(will have to stop putting ash in it as well though)
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigerburnie,
The soot required is from a chimney serving a coal fire. We can burn coal in this area but I really don't know anybody who does. I burn Anthracite but sadly that soot is not suitable. I no longer grow Celery because I do not have the time or to be more truthful have the inclination.
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Aye I burn coal and the chimney sweep is due in a month or so, so I will keep the stuff just in case I try next year. I hear it's a difficult crop in the garden, yet I remember fields full of the stuff in the fens when fishing in the early autumn back in the 1960's and 70's.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Friday morning question time.......

So, I have a few trays of potted on seedlings (which I grew from seed). Fennel, lettuce and celery. They are all quite small still (few centimetres). I water regularly and they are in the sun, but I can't help thinking growth is very slow this year. I.m getting a bit impatient with them. All are intended to go in a raised bed (which can dry out if not watered regularly). How big would you say they should be before planting out (they are small in comparison with ones you would buy at a garden centre). Is the main risk slugs? Or just not establishing properly. Should I wait until they are bigger?

Thanks.

P.s I am lucky enough to have an endless supply of coal - was brought up in a coal mining family and both my dad and brother still have small mines!
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Pasty,
I would suggest a little feed might do the trick. It maybe the compost you are using because on another thread the complaint with the peat-free composts is that they are lacking in nutrient.
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Pawty is that bronze fennel or bulb, I struggle getting the bulb to transplant and grow to any size, I've sown it direct in the greenhouse this year.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Predictive text going mad at the moment with Pasty and Promise
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic