Gardening advice on Christmas Day please!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

One of my presents this morning was a packet of already slightly sprouting narcissi bulbs in a packet, along with a ceramic pot and dry discs of compressed compost which have to be soaked in 800 ml of water first.
Wanting to plant the bulbs in the pot immediately I've soaked the cubes as instructed but now have a liquid sludge which is far too liquid for planting anything in.
Never used these dried compressed cubes before. Does the compost dry out rapidly as part of this initial process, ready for planting the bulbs in the top one third of the compost or shall I drain off the surplus moisture now and then plant the bulbs. if I leave liquid accumulated in the lower part of the pot won't the bulbs rot?
Westi
KG Regular

Merry Christmas Primrose. Lovely gift. I don't know for sure but I'd be inclined to drain off the compost stuff, maybe sit it overnight in a sieve then pot up tomorrow. Don't want the bulbs to rot, and as already sprouting they could be vulnerable.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks Westi . That was my reaction. As I intend to keep the potted up bulbs in the lounge I imagine the compost will slowly start to dry out once I've drained it but the instructions seemed to be over generous with the amount of water directed. I can envisage all kinds of infections accumulating in the liquid grunge accumulating in the base of the pot.
Geoff
KG Regular

If you are not too fussed about next year bulbs will grow in anything. Pop them in some used potting compost perhaps with a bit of sharp sand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic