Seed Sowing (was carrots)

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Allan
KG Regular

As I do much of my sowing in boxes and trays I try to go for precision sowing. My main favourites are a small roundseed-sower with a side outlet which is gently tapped to get a more or less single stream delivery, alternatively a foil packet volded in a V-shape with a modest number of seeds at one time. I am quite good now for 1'5" spacing each way for radishes,but a pair of tweezers is used to correct mistakes. Brassicas and Pak Choi are big enough to sow accurate amounts, sometimes a pointed label is used to flick them of the foil.Carrots still have to be done by very thin random scattering. Seed outdoors is still unsolved other than the possibility of using pelleted seed.
I bought the latest Gardena seed sower at half price but it only works accurately for three aparicular sizes of seed, for other sizes it produces a random sowing, at least that's better than some of my efforts.
I'm afraid this isn't strictly according to the initial topic of carrots but seed sowing is important and never gets the attention that it deserves.
Allan