Autumn Bliss raspberry canes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Villageduckpond
KG Regular

I need some advice about my Autumn Bliss raspberry canes, please? I pruned them yesterday and today whilst tidying them before the rain and manure laying would like to move some 'escapees'. Can I do this?
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

I hope i'll be able to answer that question next year - i planted my raspberries last autumn (3 varieties) and did not get anything. Not even a flower. Just a few branches started to appear a couple of months ago... Even the slugs did not fancy them.
Good luck with yours, I am sure someone who has some can answer your question :mrgreen:
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They should be alright if you choose nice strong ones. Try to get a good amount of root and make sure the cane is nice and stable so it doesn't rock about. I usually shorten it but leave enough to tie it securely. They might take a year to establish properly and not behave like you expect, sometimes having a few flowers earlier than autumn. They usually send up a new cane or two, then the following year you can treat these like normal autumn fruiting ones by cutting down in spring. Saying that, I sometimes only shorten half the plants so I get an early crop from the new growth on them and then a later crop from the newly produced canes.
Geoff
KG Regular

If the escapees are where you don't want them there is nothing lost by moving them. However, why are you doing this now? You don't say where you are but my Autumn Bliss are still fruiting well and will be doing so for some time yet, the normal time to cut them down is January or February. I don't know what effect it will have on the vigour of next year's growth doing it so early but I guess it won't be good.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Villageduckpond,
I'm in the same state as Geoff, still picking but not so many now.
The pruning routine is exactly as Geoff has described.
When the picking is over I prune in February but leave one long cane per plant and get an early crop around the end of June and then prune out the spent cane. The main crop follows in about two months later.
JB.
davebriggs
KG Regular

Can someone please give me some info about manure, and fertiliser or how to prepare the ground for them for the new year please?

Ive had 2 very good years with the canes, and had a load more come up in year 2 than I had in year 1. Want to make sure the quality of the soil they are in is really good for year 3 though. Any kind of help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Thank you everyone!
Dave
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Dave - Welcome!

I top up my raspberries with some fairly well rotted horse muck each winter, for both weed control and to support their growth! These are established canes. On my new bed I dug in the muck a couple of months before I got the plants, put up the post & wires etc. I only mulched this bed with some chippings when I planted though, as didn't want to 'burn' the stems.

This may not be the right way, so be patient & wait until the experts respond, I may have just been lucky!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Welcome Dave,

Non experts bit like buses, two just came along together.

Cant fault what Westi has said. That is much the way I deal with raspberries as well.
The important words she has used are "well rotted"

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Welcome Dave. Nice to see a new name on the forum.
davebriggs
KG Regular

Thank you for the welcome everyone!

I'm an absolute novice, and have loads of questions about vegetables - having some real trouble with them, so you may see me in other areas on here as well!

I only started growing fruit and veg last year but its one of the most relaxing ways to distress after a cr*ppy day in the office!

When you say well rotted manure, is that the kind of stuff that you get in bags at the garden centre? And in terms of the established bed for raspberries, would you put this down before you prune the canes?

Thanks very much for your help!
Dave
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Dave!

Just ask away! We were once in the same position as you - and isn't it a relaxer as well as a challenge? I've got an allotment & they let certain folk drop their animal waste on the site. If you've got the means to buy it that is exactly what the garden centre sells, already processed! You could make friends with someone that has a pony though but beware of the wood chip - it takes ages to break down, but makes an excellent mulch for weed control!

Westi
Westi
Villageduckpond
KG Regular

Hello everyone and many thanks for quite a variety of answers to my question. The manure arrives in packets tomorrow (I live in a city and without a car) and in due course shall knuckle down to gradually dealing with it. Also, good idea about the slates.....sorry, forget who suggested that.
John
KG Regular

Hello VDP
I use a good sprinkling of Fish, Blood and Bone on my rasps each year. I put in on in the Spring when the buds are beginning to break. Works wonders as it is a slow release fertilizer and will serve the plants till the fruiting stage.
FBB is best bought in the larger quantities say 10kg tubs at least - expensive in small packets.
I find rasps need more of a boost than just manure if they are to give a good crop.
Regards
John

PS if you are buying FBB read the label carefully and avoid the stuff which is pelleted by combining with dried chicken manure - not impressed by the results from it. Use the traditional powdered stuff.
Last edited by John on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Welcome VillageDuckPond to the forum. It is really encouraging to see some new forum members. Keep up with the posts; I'm sure replies will be forthcoming from somewhere or other.
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm with John on the feeding with FBB, I usually also give them a little Potash. Always useful to have a little Potash fertiliser in stock; good for all fruit, tomatoes and onion family.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic