sprouts

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Just watched country file. Our frilly sprouts look very similar to their 'kalettes' - looks like us KG folk are bang on trend!

Pawty
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, Pawty and what about those mechanical weeders? if only - we can dream on. But good to know they are replacing herbicides.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

I was reading in the paper at the weekend that there might be a shortage of sprouts over the Christmas period. Apparently whole fields of them have been affected due to a summer invasion of sprout-eating moths with some Lincolnshire farmers reporting losses of up to 60% and having to dig all their crops back into the fields.

No doubt a lot of little children who hate the vegetable will be cheering with relief but to me a Christmas lunch wouldn't be quite the same without a few little green balls on the plate !
Beryl
KG Regular

I wouldn't worry Primrose but the look on Country File the fields were bursting with them. If only mine looked as good. Very disappointed this year they are still so small. I am now buying and can't remember when I last needed to do that.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

On the subject of Country File - any idea what variety of cauliflower they might be growing? They were really closely spaced, (unless deceived by the camera angle) and had such tall leaves protecting the head. I do OK with Caulies but the leaves don't grow that tall and want to curl over the head but leave a big gap in the middle & I have to break them to cover it completely, or even use another couple of leaves.
I thought I may have been breaking off too many raggey leaves, but they had fairly long stems on theirs so they must have been doing that too. I always buy varieties that say good protection but to date not as good as those were.

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

I don't think the variety was mentioned Westie but having tall leaves and growing close together gives them an even size for the supermarkets. Easier for trimming I would have thought to.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

They looked beautiful didn't they? Obviously with the lack of damage and being out in the open they were sprayed though!

I'm sure someone will have an idea. It's the closer spacing I'm interested in, I have to have quite big spaces as the varieties I choose seem to have quite tough leaves that like to spread out not up. (Those leaves also looked soft).

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Apropos 'kalettes' - 'brukale' - 'flower sprouts': all the same! I think the name depends on who did the breeding, but in practice they are all the same. I am a convert to them because they appear hardier than Brussels sprouts and certainly seem to be less prone to go soft and mushy on the plants which has happened to our sprouts in the past. And the taste: better, more like kale, which we like.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

MY Brussel sprouts have come on quite well in the end, had the first of them Sunday.....So there will be sprouts for Christmas.. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

I am jealous OH, I was so ashamed of mine they came out today nothing worth picking. They were Wellington an old favourite now withdrawn so I shall have to think again for next year.

Regards
Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, if only we knew, the Wellington sprouts are probably still out there, just under a new name....

Beryl
KG Regular

You are probably right OH.
Best Wishes for a Happy Christmas and here's to lots more advice/chats for 2017.

Regards
Beryl.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

https://www.sarahraven.com/veg_fruit/se ... ton_f1.htm

I got as far as putting them in a basket so I assume they still have some stock.

Worth a try if you haven't already

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Beryl
KG Regular

Thank you Pa Snip for the info. £1.95 plus £2.50 postage for 20 seeds a bit pricey but I will look around first.
Happy Christmas
Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Beryl, it looks as if Wallis seeds are still doing them, too.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic