sprouts

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bren
KG Regular

Why have I got no sprouts on my plants lots of foliage but no sprouts
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bren, firstly, how nice to see a post from you, i do hope you are keeping well!

As for your sprouts, mine are doing the same sort of thing. they are just starting to get the smallest sprouts appearing, but they are very late at emerging.....so maybe there is still time for yours.
I just put mine down to it being a funny old year weather wise.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Mine are the same just pimple sized sprouts, I'm usually harvesting them in early November last year they where over three feet high in October this year they are half that height I only hope they catch up for Christmas dinner
Monika
KG Regular

Our flower sprouts are in a similar state and I think it's been the lack of rain - we have had very little the last 6 weeks or so. No doubt they will still grow, it's early days.
Pawty
KG Regular

I've tried frilly sprouts this year after hearing about them here on the KG forum!

Plants are massive, and I noticed a few little florets appear At the weekend (bit excited). I'll try and get a photo and place on here as they look nothing like normal sprouts.

Also, this year on all the brassicas are massive numbers of white fly. They don't appear to damage the plant, and are more a pain in trying to wash off before cooking. So, does everyone try and get rid of the white fly, or leave alone?

Thanks

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pawty

I always get white fly. I used to shake the plants a lot but they just fly up & resettle on the plant again. All I do now is just give the plants I harvest a big shake before popping them in the crate. Wash them at home & dry off the cabbage or whatever before storing in the fridge. If you can get a big puddle at the bottom & do it, it is more effective as lots drown in the puddles, but they come back.

I once stupidly thought that they would die in the fridge as too cold for them - MISTAKE! Not only did they survive they migrated to other brassicas in the fridge! Another blonde moment! :oops:

On the subject of frilly sprouts - can you eat the tops like you do with normal brussels? Mine have sprouts but not hearting up, just lots of large leaves, which I will harvest anyway but just wondering if I can expect the wee tender head as well?

Westi
Westi
Bren
KG Regular

Thank you Oldherbaseous, Robo, Monica and Pawth for your replies good to know I'm not on my own with this problem, maybe by Christmas I might get a dinner from them.

OH. thank you for the welcome I haven't been on the forum for a long time, I was ill all over the winter but I'm fine now.

Bren
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bren, sorry to hear you had tough times over the winter, but very pleased you are better now.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

Wash sprouts thoroughly and any other brassica in salt water, rinse well before using. That usually draws out most nasties, even small caterpillars will float to the top and can easily be seen to dispose of.

My sprouts are slow in forming to, I put it down to the lack of rain.

Beryl.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

These are the frilly sprouts (white fly included..). Interesting as some are on the plant stalk and some are above leaves - assume we can each them all. I have eight plants so I don't think we'll being going short around Christmas!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (431.66 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (542.09 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
Monika
KG Regular

When I went to pick flower sprouts yesterday, I noticed the whitefly as well, more than we have ever had, but, having proceeded as recommended (good shake, short soak in salty water and rinse under running water) we enjoyed them for lunch, maybe with a few whiteflies still there for good measure. Nobody complained.
Westi
KG Regular

Mine look different to yours Pawty.

Must be a different variety, mine are more green with a purple tinge on the stalks and they are more open like little cabbages. Mostly the same with the white fly though, but the sooty leaves are dropping off & it doesn't seem to be getting on the leaves higher up & the cloud dispersed with a shake and swim seemed less - fingers crossed! They taste fine, so much closer to kale than a brussels sprout, much less levels of that sulphur taste.

PTDC0179.JPG
PTDC0179.JPG (230.85 KiB) Viewed 7055 times

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I'm thinking of growing these flowering sprouts next year , I've never tried them but we do like the traditional ones alas just pimples on ours this year and half the height they normally are this time last year we had been eating them for three weeks by the end of October just hoping we can get enough for Christmas dinner
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Having attempted some last year, to me these flowering brassica thingys (is there a scientific genus for 'thingy' plants ) look just like sprouts that have blown and just taste like a poor version of kale. I wasn't impressed.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I tried them a few years ago and wasn't impressed either.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic