Asparagus

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I want to build another asparagus bed, but where I want to site it has my chillies and aubergines, so another few weeks until they are over, then I need to move the structure and dig out any weeds and stuff.

Asparagus crowns are available now & I worry that when the bed is ready they won't be. Should I buy them now while they are available and if I do how do I keep them alive & viable for planting? Or do I wait?

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Where are you planning on buying them from Westi, why not order them now and ask them not to deliver them until the end of the month. It should still be suitable to plant them where you are.
Primrose
KG Regular

Or if you have some large pots or big empty supermarket punnets store them individually in them covered and bottomed with a little damp compost to prevent them drying out and store them in a shady place. . I'm sure the crowns won't be very active at this time of year.
snooky
KG Regular

Evening Westi,
I ordered my Asparagus from this company a few years ago-http://www.agradeasparagus.co.uk/-and they recommend that March and April are the best time to plant out as the soil is starting to warm up,so there shouldn't be any harm in waitng.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

That's interesting Snooky, but makes sense instead of just sitting there doing nothing. I'll check that website as well, might have more varieties & keener prices.

I thought of just popping them in pots as well Primrose, but the ones I have now were quite established with really long roots, when we got them, so it would have to be big trugs and as I want about 20, not really practical, so will pursue Snooky's website.

Cheers all
Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic