Germinating tomato seed

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Barry
KG Regular

I normally do this with carrots, but have had some problems in germinating tomato seed this year, so have sowed several in an ice cream tub on moistened kitchen paper.

By doing this, some of the more relucant seeds have sprung into life. They produce a tiny white shoot, which I then extract very gently using tweezers and place in a pot of compost. Voila! On they grow to become useful little plants.

Since carrots can be awkward so and sos too, I use this method when I have nothing better to do, since transplanting them into the ground takes HOURS, but you always get a fantastic crops.

Anybody else do this?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Ma Snip has tried it in the past but finds the kitchen roll dries out faster than she can keep up with it.

The various varieties of Toms that I sowed on the 23/3/16 have been emerging over the last few days.

Red Pear and Tumbler do not appear to be germinating well so far.

Haven't sown any carrot yet.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic