Bargain Basement

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

I ordered some chocolate mint coleus seeds for my wife from Amazon little did I know they would be from China ,we waited over a month when we finally opened them there were ten seeds not one germinated
Westi
KG Regular

Funny you say that Oscar!

I ordered some garlic from France & it came from China as well! Looked fine so I gave it a go. I chatted with a friend who suggested that a lot of European companies have been bought out by Chinese companies, who basically get the whole crop shipped out there & then use what they need for local consumption & sell on the rest. So technically French but had a wee holiday in the east! (Got a cute little Chinese lucky charm in the parcel, so all will be OK - maybe)?

Westi BTW - Tom Thumb is a great lettuce, fast to grow, tasty & no waste - meal size portion in each!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I used to grow individual varieties of Sweet Peas but decided they had become too expensive so I changed to good quality mixed packets. I'm thinking of going back to specific varieties, anybody know a good source at reasonable prices?
snooky
KG Regular

Geoff,try Kings Seeds.Their catalogue has pages of sweetpeas average count 20 seeds,average price £1-50 to £2-00 a pack.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

Have you seen the (DT) Brown Friday deal - lots of things £1.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

And Mr. Fothergill' is doing 50% off all seeds until Monday!
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Monika
KG Regular

Geoff, back to sweet peas: Matthewmans sweet peas are all grown in England and their 'mixtures' are individually packed but cheaper than actual individual packets, if you know what I mean. We have been buying ours from Matthewmans for many years.
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks, I bought some from Eagle Sweet Peas (which have arrived and look good) and will top them up from Premier Seeds Direct when we get round to working out their order. Did lots of £1 DT Brown today.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OscarSidcup wrote:And Mr. Fothergill' is doing 50% off all seeds until Monday!

Geoff wrote: Did lots of £1 DT Brown today.

DT Brown and Mr Fothergill owned by same company, Van Meuwan also

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Beryl
KG Regular

Vegetable Seeds are closing down, all seeds now 25p.
http://www.vegetableseeds.net/

Beryl.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Marshalls are selling blueberry Bluegold at half price. It's in a 5 litre pot and is my favourite variety and you don't often see it advertised. It is very productive and has a nice fruity flavour, not bland like the punnets you get in the shops.
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks plumbpudding,

I noticed that Tesco have lots of fruit bushes at the moment - I didn't see the varieties, but are £2 each. Good for someone starting out and seeing how they get on?

I don't have enough space for a fruit cage so haven't tried. Do you think the blue gold could be grown in a pot?

Thanks

Pawty
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes it's fine in a pot as it's a medium sized bush, but I always use one with a water reservoir and large enough for plenty of ericaceous compost so it doesn't dry out. You can also stick a few canes in and make a mini fruit cage with a bit of net. Top hat is a popular variety that is similar and did well in a pot, but has grown more since I planted it in a bottomless box in the border. Box is so I can grow it in ericaceous compost as border soil is neutral.
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks plumpudding.

Another bargain..... just had to renew my KG subscription. But I started a new one instead - 3 issues for £5 - and 20 packs of good quality seeds as an incentive (turned up yesterday - really good selection which I may donate half of). You set up a direct debit, but believe you can cancel if you find it's not for you.

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic