Plum Beauty - even earlier blooming!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Just had a look at previous posts to see when Plum Beauty came into flower last year & was in March. Really surprised to see it just coming into flower today! No Pollinators about so need to put paintbrush on the list of things to take to the allotment next visit.

The tree is maturing so I'm expecting a bigger crop again this year, but no harm in offering a little support.

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Blooming this early, blooming 'eck

Think I would be offering a bit more than a paintbrush, think some fleece cover to give some frost protection might be in order

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

It does bloom early & is unfortunately too big to fleece which would probably just knock the blooms off anyway. It is partially protected by next doors shed & the back compost bin which is pretty full & deep at the moment & right behind that the hedge from the farmers field extends right across the width of the plot, it is only the western side that is exposed so may rig up some sort of temporary windbreak that side. Rarely get a frost down that end of the plot but the wind blows straight through you!

It is such a delicious red fleshed plum, supposed to be bred for the UK in the blurb but don't think that is quite true! :wink:
For the taste I persevere!

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Damn thing is in flower already - note a full week before last year! I will have to be creative to get a crop - will start with a new artist brush for one & may have to look at some sort of fleece fence around it as well. Any hints & tips appreciated! Also think I was ripped off with the size of the thing - definitely not on the 6 ft rooting stock I ordered - probably 8 foot high already and spread near 6 foot! Still totally addicted to the plums though so willing to put a bit of effort in.
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

Had a look at mine today Westie and yes there is some blossom but most of the buds are being sensible and staying tight for a bit longer - I hope.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

Most of the buds on mine are closed but there are some open & just know they will invite the others to join! I'm going to do the paintbrush & a fleece fence of some description. Expect the fence will probably blow away in first stiff breeze but I did say addiction! :)
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic