The key to a lovely lawn?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi - sorry if this has already been discussed.....

We had a new lawn put down last year. I looked after it and it looked beautiful. However, the wet winter has damaged it and it's not looking the best. So, a few questions:

1) when is it best time to sprinkle some grass seed - does the type of seed matter?
2) when do I give it the first cut of the year?

We have cats so birds are unlikely to eat it.

Many thanks.

Paula
peter
KG Regular

What sort of lawn are you after, what are the growing conditions (soil, aspect, shade) and what will be it's usage?

Different seed give different mixes of grasses with different growing habits.
The fast growing roughty-toughty mix is suitable for footballing children and needs cutting often.
Th shade mix is what it says.
The fine lawn is bowling green creeping grasses that can be cut very short.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
richard p
KG Regular

time to scatter seed in spring depends on soil condition and weather, if its too cold for it to germinate and the grounds sodden the seed may well rot before the weather warms up. but you want to get it growing before the summer drought.... basically as soon as you feel its warm and dry enough.

when to cut..... use a sharpened lawn mower that cuts easily without trying to pull weak rooted seedlings out the ground, take frequent light cuts rather than waiting for one cut in long grass. but again how soon you can cut depends on how wet the soil is, our lawns could do with cutting but they squelch if you walk on them.
Westi
KG Regular

The key to a lovely lawn?

Don't have a large female dog that tiddles for Britain, likes digging & just rushing around in circles like a nutter!

Simples! Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Thank you.

It's a very small lawn. Main use is to sit on in the summer, add green to the garden and be there for insects. It doesn't need to look perfect, just not muddy.

A really good gardener (he took great pride in his work) completely did the garden last year as it was unusable. Brought in top soil, laid patio, built raised beds etc..... I can't understand why daffs are coming up in the new lawn! Perhaps he put them in as an added surprise - primroses also popping up in it, which I really like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic