planting out brassicas

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

seedling
KG Regular

Can you tell me if its ok to plant out calabrese and brussel sprout plants now? I live in the midlands.
I`m running out of space in my little plastic greenhouse and could do with moving some stuff up to the allotment. Thanks :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Hello my little seedling, yes you can plant your brussels and calabrese out now, you might suffer a little check if they have been growing a little soft.
Calabrese is a little prone to getting checked when being tranplanted, so give them and the brussels a good watering an hour before you transplant.
I prefer to sow mid spring three seeds to a station nine inches apart and thin to one seedling per station. That is directly outside.
Forgot to say if calabrese get to bigger check they tend to bolt.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

It will either rain or get dark.
John
KG Regular

Hello Seedling
Yes it is OK to plant them out now. I suggest that you move them out of the greenhouse and leave them somewhere outdoors to harden off and get used to the outside temperatures and then plant up.

John

PS Brussels can become tall and top heavy and likely to topple over in windy weather. Plant them deep in a dip in the soil and backfill this over the months as they develop for extra support. They also do best in really solid soil - stamp it down hard before planting!
vicki
KG Regular

Old Herbaceous, sorry to sound thick, but what do you mean by'checked' when referring to calabrese? :oops: :?
Smiling is infectious....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good evening vicki, when i say checked, it means a bit of a shock. It can be going from warm to cold conditions, or the roots being disturbed when transplanted. This just slows the plants growth down for a while, or a check from dry conditions can make some vegetables go to seed.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
vicki
KG Regular

:) thanks very much! I'll get the hang of all these gardening terms one day I promise :wink:
Smiling is infectious....
Tigger
KG Regular

Another means of 'checked is 'arrested' or 'stopped for a while' - in other words held back a moment.
seedling
KG Regular

Thanks for the information. I`ll leave them outside for a few days and then plant them on the allotment
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic