Confused re: Harvesting Apples

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I a wee bit confused, the magazines are saying when the fruit starts to drop harvest the lot, but then says they're ready when you cup them & twist & they come off easily.

I have loads dropping off the apple trees but only a few come easily off the tree when I try to pick. I wouldn't mind harvesting the lot as the wasps are a real nuisance but need the apples to be edible when they go into store.

I know pears will ripen off the tree but will apples?

Westi
Westi
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Hello Westie

First of all I am not an apple expert but until someone answers with more authority I will offer my opinion. Apples ripen at different times on the tree, the outside ones that get most sunshine will ripen first and drop. The only way to tell if an apple is ripe is to taste it and or cut it and see if the pips are dark brown. Many of my apples have been dropping for some weeks now and I have been using these but the ones remaining on the trees do not pick easily as you describe and I shall wait until their pips are dark brown before gathering. Apples are not like pears and should be ripe before storage. It also depends on the apple variety when they will ripen.

Best wishes

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That about sums it up, Barney. Just one more thing though, some apples like discovery, are best picked and eaten straight off the tree as they don't keep very well at all.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I picked he Early Worcesters yesterday as they were dropping off. They don't keep for long anyway so will be eaten fresh, made into pies and crumbles and the rest juiced and put in the freezer. The birds had started pecking the nice ripe red sides so they've all been picked whether they came away easily or not - most did.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Everyone!

I've got a red with some French name & a russet. The red doesn't store well so will harvest them. Tasted one & a little tarter than normal but still nice & it only produces quite small fruit so perfect for lunch boxes.

I'll be brave & face the wasps head on & rake up the dropped fruit - carefully! :)

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The flavour seems to mellow a bit if you leave the less ripe ones for a few days after picking.
The earliest are always the worst keepers so if you have space it's good to grow later maturing ones for keeping. I like Sunset ripening in about three weeks time and Saturn which is ready to pick at the end of October. Newton Wonder is also a good keeper and is a lovely flavoured cooker.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks PP. I was a real novice when I bought the trees, just about managed the pollination bit & the graft size thing luckily. I will persevere with these but when / if they move us will do a more thorough research & spread the harvest.

I didn't brave the wasps after all - bottled out as they were out in droves & far too frisky with the sun out & the temperature higher. Anything I picked they followed me & even had one of my shoulder for the journey - with fingers crossed he wasn't going to bite me. I'm going to put up one of those waspinator things next year.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic