Ducks for asking a frost question... but...

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stonecoloured
KG Regular

When (roughly) is the 1st frost of winter?

It's the 1st time I have had a garden, so don't know the seasons fully, yet.
We're looking at going away in mid-Oct and, whilst I think it should be fine and "don't be silly it's autumn" I thought I'd best check :)

So apologies for asking a winter questions! It's almost a "it's nearly Christmas" question!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Them there ducks ask intelligent questions SC :) They obviously want to know when their pond is going to freeze over.

It may not be a full frost that catches people out from now on, just a very cold night can do some damage to some plants/crops.

You being Luton may not suffer it early but I always keep a weather eye open from the beginning of Sept onwards.
However, last winter it was well into December before we got a frost that caused damage on the allotment. Didn't lose anything though. The garden is quite well sheltered but I didn't get my geraniums or fuchsias in in time last winter, so lost them.

I would just advise you to keep thing sheltered or with suitable cover to easily to hand so you can cover plants you don't want to risk losing.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
alan refail
KG Regular

I suspect some people have ha their first ground frost already.
It varies from year to year, but try this guide which might give you a rough idea.

http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/adjust-dates-uk.php
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Thank you very much for the answers :)
Training Ducks to ask "sensitive / stoopid" questions is the way to go :) I highly recommend it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic