Storing carrots

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Bren
KG Regular

Some time ago someone on this forum suggested storing root vegetables in compost, I dug out 5 lbs. of carrots yesterday before they got too big, I don't want to use all of them right away so put them in a box with compost do I keep the compost dry or should it be damp?

Thanks for any help
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm not sure about this storing in compost Bren though I only tried it once with beetroots and they turned out to be very dry, woody and inedible.

In smaller quantities I had success with a plastic bag full of carrots and packed in kitchen roll. This stops them going furry though I suppose because the moisture is being drawn out of the carrot they would eventually go dry.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Bren, i store carrots and beetroot in slightly damp soil, or compost, over winter. I have never tried them this early in the year but, i would still use slightly damp compost. You might find they start to re-shoot unless you have somewhere very cool....maybe you could report back if you do try and let us know how it worked, thank you.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve only ever stored beetroots too., which I stored in barely damp old compost and they kept well enough apart from a few which started to shoot. But that was over winter in a cold garage and I would imagine in these summer temperatures they would shoot more quickly and also dehydrate more quickly too.
When I i pulled up several pounds of carrots around April which had overwintered quite well in the ground I sliced them lengthwise, blanched for two mins in boiling water and froze them as I thought this was probably the best way of keeping them in prime condition. Would freezing be a more reliable alternative? To be honest I found ferreting around in dusty compost a bit of an inconvenience too.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've tried storing them with mixed results, but find that they keep better left where they are with just an application of slug pellets and some straw on top in a very bad winter. I do the same with beetroot. The Boltardy variety stays tender even when very large.
Beryl
KG Regular

I've never had much luck storing carrots either. I find they are best left in the ground, they don't seem to grow much after the end of October and other than maybe the little black slugs have kept well into January. Then if I have any left will freeze them sliced and cooked and can be added to stews etc. I will do the same with the other root veg. I will make a foil parcel of mixed cooked root veg. add a knob of butter and heat in the oven. Stir fry or make bubble and squeak. Endless uses.

Beryl.
The Mouse
KG Regular

I have stored carrots in dry compost, and it worked well for me. They kept well until the new year. Some did sprout, but it didn't prove to be a problem for me. However, I have started leaving them in the ground now as it is much easier and (as long as mice don't eat them!!!) they keep better and much longer.

I now limit the storing in compost to the shop-bought carrots that I have to buy for a month or so each year - stored in my fridge, they often start to go bad before I used them all, whereas if I put them in compost out in the shed, they stay in good condition for ages.
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
robo
KG Regular

I've never tried it but I was told some while ago to store all root veg in sand
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I left last years carrots in the ground, other than the odd attack from tiny slugs they were good.

What about my potatoes ? I cut the foliage off because after the rain it all went black, I pulled a few out and they were fine so I'm leaving them in the ground even though we,have wire worms attacks.

I probably won't grow carrots again, I'm not using enough and I'm starting to get cat tots the size of beer bottles after being left in the ground. They don't taste as nice as small carrots.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic