New potatoes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PT
KG Regular

I'm surprised no one has mentioned no dig for new potatoes. I started doing this 8 or 9 years ago. The idea comes from HDRA Rytons no dig garden.

Put an inch or so of compost/manure 3' wide and as long as you need. Plant potatoes 12" apart each way. Scratch through the compost so the spud sits on the soil. Cover with 4" of straw. When the greenery comes through put another 4" of straw on, working it round the haulms. By the start of May you should be able to get grass clippings. Cover the straw with 2" of the clippings to exclude the light.

The beauty of this method is you can get those scrumy new spuds 2 or 3 weeks earlier. those layers of straw and grass pack down to about a 6" mat.

For harvesting, go along the row gently lifting the straw, and the spuds are sitting on the top. Just take the sizable spud from each plant until you have enough for dinner, leaving the plant undamaged to grow on.

A few points. I get my straw in the Autumn, open the bails and let the winter rain wash it through, incase of herbicides.
Sometimes you'll find a big spud sitting right under the plant. So if it looks like a plant has only little spuds, have a grope under it.
When the spuds are finished the soil is perfect for your purple sprouting, brussels or leeks.
I'm shure there'll be questions, feel free to ask.

Peter
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Brenjon
KG Regular

There has been a lot of postings regarding my query on harvsting new potatoes, but there has been only one answer to my Question. More definate answers please.
Brenjon
PT
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon.
Sandersj89 I think answered your question. Doing my early under straw, I get spuds before they go into flower. if your growing them in plastic sacks, it's not a problem to have a looksee. Make a hole in the side of the sack near the bottom and have a grope.

Peter
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Clive.
KG Regular

Hello,
Here are a few Swift and Lady Christl in pots here at home...

They have been on the go for 8 weeks. They were off to a slow start this year with no heat available overnight in the greenhouse and also dull overcast skies for weeks... we may be working on having a feed from them at 10 weeks.??

We usually start using the Swift when we have plucked up courage to have a little poke down to check out whether we dare tip one pot out...would hate to be a murderer :shock:
We then follow on using Lady Christl which we find is a bit slower grower.

At work I have some Lady Christl that have been on the go just over 11 weeks..They look just fine and I'm sure are about ready to go.. but again have not quite plucked up courage to tip one out...tomorrow perhaps :wink:

I am not familiar with Ulster Prince.. but I read from Alan Wilsons "The Story of the Potato";...it gives Prince as the most popular early in the early 1950s "It gives a bold crop, but the tuber count was low and the return per acre was no greater than other leading types. (1950s) It was usually ready for harvesting slightly later than most first liftings due to poor sprout growth." It goes on to say it has good drought tolerance but is not good in its recovery from frosting...

Evidently ref' field conditions but maybe a few clues..??

All the best,
Clive
PT
KG Regular

A tip I was given by a spud grower. For early spuds. Pick the biggest tubers you can. Then if they get nipped by Jack frost, there's plenty of go left.

Hi all,

I have Foremost in half growbags,as was recommended here so they make little sacks. I have lots of foliage but should I wait till they flower to know they are ready or have a poke around at some point?

Thanks

David
sandersj89
KG Moderator

Leave them for about 80 to 90 days and then have a scrap around in the bag to see how they are faring.

The small ones taste exceptional.

Jerry
Farmers son looking to get back to the land full time one day.....

Holiday in Devon? Come stay with us: http://www.crablakefarm.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic