Pruning gooseberry bushes at this time of year

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

The growth on my gooseberry bushes has gone berserk and somewhere hidden in all the growth are the young fruits. I know conventional wisdom says this is not the correct time of year to prune, but unless I do some trimming my hands are going to be pricked to death when it's fruit picking time.

So, if I prune back new growth somewhat, will it harm the plants? They're really intruding on the space I have.
Geoff
KG Regular

I would say no problem. Mine are fan/cordons and when the new growth gets in the way by coming out at right angles I just cut it back to short spurs and it doesn't do any harm.
retropants
KG Regular

this is only slightly related, but last year, our blackberry was sending out all sorts of new long stems, and they were getting in my way. Before, my dad has tied them in. this time, I kept chopping them off. This years crop looks likely to be the best ever, all the short spurs left have masses of flower buds on them, neatly spread over the entire surface of the bush (I say bush, it is not a normal sprawling black berry shape!)
So, I say, go for it!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic