Sowing Chive seed

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Recently I read the sow and grow instructions on a packet of Chive seed from Mr Fothergills Seeds. The picture on the front of the packet shows many Chives growing in a maybe 6" pot giving the impression that they are grown in clumps. To my utter amazement in the sow and grow instruction they recommend that you sow and then thin to 8" apart and 8" between rows. With 750 seeds in the packet you would need something like 2.5 30 ft by 4ft beds.
Because my home gathered seeds had 2009 on the container I decided to buy some fresh seed.
The Fothergill sow and grow instructions are absolute nonsense.
I sow Chives to grow in clumps for resale and plant six seeds in 1.5" x1.5"
module and transplant them into 8cm round pots and grow them on for a year and they will have then filled the pot and when planted out will make a fine clump very readily which is how you need them in my opinion.
Has anybody else found totally wrong information on seed packets?
JB.
Edited for spelling imperfection!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Johnboy, and nice to see you on the forum.

I must admit i rarely read the instructions on seed packets, for this very reason....I get a lot of my seeds from Moles now, so that solves that annoying problem.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Hello. Johnboy, nice to see you back - have missed you!

Apropos seed packets: yes, I find the timings for sowings quite irrelevant at times. Obviously, seeds are sold from Landsend to John o'Groats, and sea level to mountainsides, so could not cope with every condition, but some suggested sowing times strike me as extraordinary early, especially for sowing outdoors. So, I must admit, nowadays I never read the instructions.

That could be very off-putting and expensive for a beginner, though ....
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello from me too JB. Good to see you...we've missed you.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic