Tayberry

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

mr-cecil
KG Regular

Hi there,

I noticed that the books say you need to plant tayberrys 2-3 meters apart and I was wondering why.

Is this because the space they need to grow, or is it to do with the roots?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Mr C,
they are big plants and also need the support of a trellis or fence of some sort as they are very similar in habit to blackberries and raspberries. Nothing to do with the roots.
Regards Sally Wright.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

So, do you think I could actually grow them with Raspeberrys assuming I had some kind of wire corden system??
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

As Sally says, they make very large plants. Mine covers a 12 ft length of 6 ft high trellis with the stems curved round and tied in to keep it on the trellis. They don't have the same growing habit as raspberries so might be difficult to grow with them. They are also very productive, so you probably wouldn't need more than one for normal domestic use.
You prune off the fruited wood and tie in the new growth for the next year so need a lot of space for the long trailing stems - like blackberries.

The roots don't cause a problem for anything I've got planted nearby.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Ok, it sounds like I could grown them along a wire boundary fence.
robo
KG Regular

Thats what ive done with ours but its only a 3 feet tall fence and not over strong its the second year for ours and i think ill need to strengthen the fence
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Interesting. Do you think they are worth growing, based on the space they take up?

Note I'm guessing loganberrys also need the same sort of space...
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They have a lovely rich flavour and are sweeter than loganberries. I love them in jam and they are good from frozen with a mix of other berries.

And very nice fresh too.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mr Cecil,
Tayberries are an aerial crop carried on A wire trellis the actual plant will take no more than a 2ft x 2ft area and you can grow a multitude of things in the rest of the bed.
In my case I have three tayberries in a 36ft bed and I grow and propogate herbs in the same bed.
As PP says they are far better than Loganberries which, to me, are a very sour berry although with masses of sugar they do have a fine flavour.
You should expect to gather around twelve pounds of tayberries per plant.
It is not too late to plant a pot grown plant this year to expect fruit next year.
Pruning is the same regime as for Balckberries prune to the left one year and the right the next. The new canes produced this year will carry the fruit next year so treat the new canes with a certain amount of reverence.
A good helping of manure/compost after the new canes have appeared will work well for next years crop and this years.
Sincerely,
JB.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:They have a lovely rich flavour and are sweeter than loganberries. I love them in jam and they are good from frozen with a mix of other berries.

And very nice fresh too.

Interesting. It could be the site I picked for mine (Buckingham thornless), but I thought the berries were so boring I dug it up ! I've abandoned all the obscure soft fruit in favour of the traditional - strawberries, raspberries and blackcurrants. I think there is often a reason why unusual varieties remain uncommon. Huckleberries were the worst. Urgh.
robo
KG Regular

We planted 3 this time last year we did not get a lot of fruit as expected ,but my wife had one of the few berries it left her with a look of pure pleasure on her face for nearly 10 miniutes and that takes some doing
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Robo,
They do say that a look is worth a thousand words!
JB.
robo
KG Regular

Johnboy if she reads this ill repeat the thousand words she will use
Johnboy
KG Regular

"OOOPS!"
JB.
clairelv1
KG Regular

maybe . plants need space too . to a some extend it is same with people!

take care of it ... :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic