Marshalls seed growing guide

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Motherwoman
KG Regular

I think we can safely say the 'throw away' brigade are decorators not gardeners!

MW
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I appreciate that Marshalls and others have created a fabulous service where we can source almost anything we need though I'm always on the lookout for marketing to the gullible amongst us. I've used nurseries I can recommend and I'm sure some are able recommend Marshalls and thoughMarshalls have let me down they continue to offer an interesting and dizzying choice of things we can grow to eat and to make our gardens look happy.

I've often wondered about the viability of relying on mail order nurseries to provide all my planting rather than have to have a greenhouse, I tried it but found I still need a greenhouse. The plants arrive looking viable but they are so tiny and have been grown in such a controlled environment that I still need a greenhouse. Ok, the seed to plant growing has been negotiated. I wonder if any of you successfully use plugs plants on a regular basis and how do you arrange for them to tun up when you want them rather than when they want to get rid oh them ? One year they sent me an apology rather than any plants, an apology and a credit to buy something else.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

Everything ive had from marshals has been disapointing i will not be following any growing tips from them
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

My last 'bitch' about Marshalls got me a recommendation to try Kings seeds, I only ordered seeds so far but it was a super-zippy service and nice people to work with if you have to call.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Beryl
KG Regular

When I've ordered plug plants and not just from Marshalls there has always been the choice of 2 delivery months. I have always had good service from Marshalls and when there has been a problem it has been dealt with quickly but as in all large organisations they can't please everyone all of the time.

I'm sure you will be happy with Kings Richard.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Beryl, do you use plug plant buying instead of having a greenhouse then your plugs go straight into the ground ? The only plugs I ever bought were so tiny I couldn't quite see the point when I still had to care for them indoors.

For me, germinating seeds hasn't been a difficulty. it's the transition from a sprouted seed into a plant that is sturdy enough to go into the ground where the problems occur for me.

Each year I realised I was far to early so lasy year I left sowing most seeds until May then the seedling went into the ground but under cover or into a cold frame.

The potting is very time consuming and fraught with problems, like looking after a baby.

I suppose I had a huge leap in my learning curve when I grew Cosmos, they just grow into sturdy plants steadily and cope with the ups and downs. I often wonder how some plants ever grow without our intervention, they need so much care and cosseting.
Richard.
Beryl
KG Regular

Richard I have a 13ft. green house, with top shelving as well has the staging and with all the veggies for the allotment when I want things like geraniums, bizzie lizzies for home there just isn't the space in March/April so I order for a later delivery usually the end of April. I never plant out from the plugs but pot on into the cell trays of 24. They soon get away and will be a good size to put out from beginning of May. I do grow some flowers from seed, wallflowers, sweet Williams, F. Marigolds, Statice, Asters etc. all for the allotment. A greenhouse is like a freezer, never big enough.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks Beryl, it always leads back to a greenhouse or polytunnel though I have other concerns to deal with that are particular to this environment.

The only place I could site a greenhouse is to become a primary-log-store. The original primary wood store has reached it's design limits and will become a raised bed.

(A primary wood store is my way of describing where the newly split logs go for their first year of drying)

I live the life of a batchelor so having all this plot to grow stuff on is more about pandering to my wants rather than needs. I love growing stuff but for one bloke with a weekend visitor it doesn't make sense though I'm going to do it and with another few years of improving things.

I do have room for a polytunnel and most of you visiting this site would be envious of what I have but when the weather forcast says 30 knots it's often 15 knots in town and 50 knots at the top of our paddock. Not a problem, just learning to cope and deal with it is an education with few teachers to advise me.
Richard.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote: I wonder if any of you successfully use plugs plants on a regular basis and how do you arrange for them to tun up when you want them rather than when they want to get rid oh them ?

I tried using plug plants for a while, but I found they tended to die a lot... ie order 3 for every 1 I really wanted. Now I tend to use seed or rely on private gardeners/garden centres. Use Marshalls, as they had a good Beetroot seed collection and a lot of other places only seemed to do one variety in the pack.

Also, have you tried the Jiffy peat plugs for seeds? Found them damn useful for growing Tomato and Chilli seeds and not disturbing the roots when potting on into pots, until they become more robust plants. Just need to see if the netting actually rots now!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I had a similar experience to you with plugs so haven't bothered since, my huge step forward came when I started sowing just a few seeds rather than half a packet or even a full packet on the assumption most would fail, they did fail because of overcrowding and damping-off.

The next move forward was making my own seed tapes which started after I bought giant parsley seed tapes for Lidle of all places. I had a good crop of parsley at a time when others on the forum were struggling so it appears I either have some beginners luck or that no matter how experienced you are you're still going to make mistakes or run into bad luck.

Another move forward has been taking my seedlings outside, but under cover as soon as possible which is 10 degrees nigh-time temperatures rather than the continuous potting-on and waiting.
Richard.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Sounds like you're finding what works for you. I'm slowly getting there, but it's the 1st year with a decent sized garden! So trial and error.

With regards to planting lots of seeds, a lot of places recommend 2 x seeds in one place/tub, which I've done on my Chillis - but both have sprouted (and currently have 2 x sets of leaves)... Am I meant to kill of the smallest/weakest of the 2? Or does nature do that? Or... do both plants grow together in the same pot? I appreciate it's in-case one doesn't sprout, but I have it in ALL of my chillies now!

Just curious as to the whole "progress" of 2 x seeds in 1 pot...

For my tomatoes, I've only planted 1 seed in 1 pot - does this then mean I'll have a mix of "weak" and "strong" seedlings?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes, you should be selective and only keep the strongest seedling, but I'm afraid I feel really cruel throwing any away and always end up with more than I need. I start each variety of tomato off five seeds to a 5" pot and prick them out to individual pots when they have two pairs of leaves. I grow a lot of different varieties so always have too many even if I throw the weedy ones out.
Stonecoloured
KG Regular

Looking like I'll be in the same boat then :) I don't like killing plants!
I see lots of chutneys, jams and pickles in my future!
Westi
KG Regular

No matter how ruthless I try to be I just can't throw out a perfectly good plant so I always pot on both seedlings if they look healthy & yes, always have too many plants but there are plenty of things to make, ways to store or give away.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

If you do want to get rid of the unwanted second seedling, Stonecoloured, and don't want to disturb the 'good one' by pulling the unwanted one out, you can also snip it off at ground level with fine scissors. The root will rot back into the soil and your good one will have space to grow.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic