Weird Year!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Today down at lottie I went into clearing mode - we've had a frost so clearing & mulching the dahlia beds so thought might just as well tidy up the raspberries & mulch them seeing I found a nice pile of well rotted manure.

After munching on at least 20 ripe raspberries I completed the job - & have the bad back to prove it. They were more tart than normal but very lush! Also found a pumpkin hidden in the black currant!

What has everyone else found that shouldn't be available this time of year? Someone on the news said they had strawberries.

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Nothing unusual to report unfortunately, I love raspberries but there were just a few shriveled ones. Brought home leeks and carrots though which were nice.

MW
retropants
KG Regular

i picked about 20 green tomatoes yesterday and 3 red ones along with 6 chilies! My Arum lily is flowering at home too :/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

In the past two weeks I've picked the two last cucumbers and a couple of dozen sweet peppers from the greenhouse and 20 or so nice yellow tomatoes from outside. There are lots of the rotoco chillies still to pick and a few lemon drop Aji chillies. The Mara des bois strawberry is still flowering and a few strawberries have ripened since I brought the tub into the greenhouse, but they go mouldy quickly if you don't keep an eye on them. I'm feeding the Autumn Bliss raspberries to the hens as a treat as like you say they are a bit tart.

There are still quite a few shrubs and trees with leaves that I wish would lose them in one go as I'm fed up with sweeping them up.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well the weather is certainly upside down. I was walking past a front garden this morning which had a large pink rhododendron in full bloom. And I still have bedding geraniums in flower.
Diane
KG Regular

I have a little pink dianthus out...it's sheltering under a rhubarb leaf :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic