Replacing Raspberries

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

What is the life span roughly of raspberries that they will remain productive? I've had my plot 12 years this year and they were there when I took it over. They do crop well but are becoming a little sparse in places & the summer & autumn ones are all mixed up. I'd also like to move it as the area it is in is full of couch grass & some wild thorny blackberry has snuck in to make me pay for my inattention at times?

As I'm probably at the last window to buy & plant some would be interested to know.

Westi
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Westi,
it is really time for replacement. I have made a list of what varieties are available at present, with their cropping times etc on a spreadsheet. It took me ages to do as not all the info was available on every website or catalogue blurb. If you want a copy PM me and we can exchange E-mail addresses. I made it for work but I don't mind sharing it.
Regards Sally Wright.
John
KG Regular

Hello Westi
Definitely time for a change and its an excellent idea to start again in a different area.
Raspberries have shallow spreading roots so you do need to get the new area well prepared and as clean as possible. If weeds become established in bed they can be very difficult to get rid of.
As far as varieties go I have Glen Ample for summer and Joan J for autumn cropping and would recommend both of them. Do get new certified canes from a good supplier. Don't try to re-establish your old stuff as you will simply carry over any weaknesses and infections.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Sally - received the spread sheet - very thorough! Will be going through the catalogues on the weekend - decisions, decisions!

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

New raspberry canes only just arrived - bit of a delay in dispatching! Hmmm! Came with a letter saying in essence 'due to unseasonal weather to plant asap!' I had to send a stern e-mail to even get them! (Got a few freebies though to compensate. :o )

Anyway they won't get any cold snap - can I expect a crop? Have bought a mix of summer & autumn cropping, but should I keep my established bed for another year to ensure a crop even if reduced, or will these guys compensate for the weather?

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Well my very sparse raspberries are supplying an abundance of fruit & putting up lots of new plants. My new raspberries (I bought 3 lots with different fruiting times), are a disaster. They all took off & looked healthy, but row 2 is now dead & row 3 is succumbing to whatever killed row 2. Row 1 is now fruiting but still basically sticks with a few leaves.

I think Monty said they don't like it too wet & it was indeed when they went in. Is this correct or could there be another reason?

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

I suspect you have the dreaded raspberry root rot http://www.scri.ac.uk/research/genetics ... management It thrives when the ground is wet. It may be the stock was infected, I believe much of it is even when certified, or it maybe what has weakened your old ones and the wet allowed it to spread to the new ones if they weren't a good distance away.
Westi
KG Regular

Hmm that doesn't sound good Geoff! Luckily the old ones are right at the other end of the plot. Looks like I need a new raspberry bed then in another spot, but might beg some new plants of someone else on lottie with a happy batch of raspberries as these were a total waste of money!

Thanks for the reply.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic