PEAS

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Compo
KG Regular

Like most plot holders I am trying to grow successinal crops so have been sowing half a dozen pea plants in peat pots every week, but they are now through in different stages and last year my efforts were dogged by mice digging up the peas, so I want to leave the seedlings in the greenhouse then harden off in the cold frame, but should i pinch them out at all? And do they climb better up a stick or a net?

See no mention of organic at all in this posting!!
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Compo, i dont know how many weeks you have been sowing your peas for, but i'm not sure only six a week is enough. I normally sow a ten foot row at monthly intervals. Really peas don't need hardening of , unless you have been growing them at high temperatures. I have never heard of pinching the tops out of garden peas before, only sweetpeas.
This probably wouldn't hurt though if they have gone a bit leggy.
Jonhboy might be able to help with that point.
Peas are not to worried about what they climb up, but feathery hazel sticks let the pea plants spread out a bit, and so help when you pick the peas.
I hope you don't find this reply to negative, as this is not intended.

Kind regards Old herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.
Tigger
KG Regular

I prefer sticks - can't get on with that stretchy net stuff - and I don't pinch them out either.
Compo
KG Regular

Not negative at all old herb, until we get better advice we tend to do it as we do it, I know that peas are not high croppers per square foot so will stick to a half row at a time, cheers

Comps
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I always struggle with the supports for peas and get in a horrible mess with nets and sticks and things. What do you all use? Pea sticks are mentioned often - are they just twiggy sticks one finds littering the ground, or something more mystically pea-related?

Also, I have grown mine under fleece as it's been so cold. They're coming up nicely now, do you think it'll harm 'em to be exposed to the elements and have their fleece blanket removed??
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Mazmezroz,
Peas are a lot hardier that people give them credit for. If your Peas have been in the row under fleece they are used to the ambient temperature and the fleece will only protect them from direct frost and nasties. You are best providing something to grow up.
The very best Peas Sticks are from second year Hazel growth. If you have a source of Hazel you are well in but I have grown them up Pig netting as an alternative and other people use Pea Netting bought from a garden centre. Never used that so I cannot advise you.
Compo,
I sow 18 Peas to the foot and must get well over a pound per foot but of that I am not totally certain.
I certainly wouldn't pinch Peas out at any cost.
JB.
Allan
KG Regular

Pea netting OK but you have to be prepared to clean it up afterwards which can be tedious and time-consuming.Life of netting limited to 2-3 years. I presume that the conversation is about tall peas.e.g.Alderman. Senator, Achievement, Gradus etc. Personally I grew no other, far better yield and over a longer period. i had to give up and go for frozen commercial peas, not the same but at least edible. The pea crop came at my busiest period of the year and something had to give.
I'v got some saved seed of Purple Podded and Magum Bonum. I hope to refresh the PP as it's one of the best on yield, fun to grow and pods dead easy to find before they are to far past it. I think Thomas Etty still has it.
Allan
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Allan, do you know of a supplier of older varietie of pea. I would like to grow Ne plus ultra again, but have not seen any seed for years.
Is Thomas Etty a supplier?
Any help will be gratefully received.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

When i'm not fishing i'm mending my nets.
Geoff
KG Regular

I only grow Hurst Greenshaft. Planted them out from rootrainers from cold greenhouse yesterday, another batch just germinating. I put a row of slate batten stakes down one side with horizontal strings a foot or so apart. Push twiggy Birch in amongst the plants; I have my own trees, they were leafing up yesterday when I cut them but I have never had them root. Put stakes and string down the second side then tie the tops of the stakes together across the row to stop them bulging. When they have finished I remove the string and stakes and put the lot through the shredder, twigs and plants.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
I virtually do the same but snap out the bases of the Hazel Peas Sticks (of which I have about 3/4 of a mile of hedge to select from)and use as kindling for lighting my log burner.
I too grow Hursts Greenshaft as I think they take a lot of beating, not only for yield, but flavour. I also grow Alderman which I find has the yield but is down on flavour by comparison. I also have some Peas that Clive introduce me to called Radio and they are slightly taller than Alderman but with a far better flavour. Next year Alderman will be phased out as I will have enough seed to cope with demands on Radio.
I always start my Peas off in the tunnel in 7cm square pots in trays of 5's domino pattern and 4's diamond pattern. When planting out you end up with a triple offset row of Peas.
Previously I mentioned using Pig Netting and omitted to say that I weave Hazel twigs through the netting.
This method is used for Alderman and Radio varieties.
Three inch post down the plot and netting LOOSELY stapled. eg make sure the staples are firm but do not hammer home. Hammering home the staples causes damage to the netting and are absolute buggers to get out at the end of the season.
This policy should also be persued when erecting stressed Rabbit fencing.
JB.
Clive.
KG Regular

"Demands on Radio"??... Look out Wogan.....Johnboy is moving into Broadcasting... :wink:

Hello,
At work I often use Hazel sticks for the "Radio masts"..or sometimes, as this year, will be using Ash sticks which are very good too.

At home here we use posts and 2" galvanised mesh wire net x 3'...down one side of the row augmeted by Ash sticks...for smaller peas.

And for Radio it is 2" mesh x 4' augmented by much taller sturdier Ash sticks.
Er, and don't get the rows too close together.!! :oops:

All the best,
Clive.
Tigger
KG Regular

Oh good - hazel, peas, no nets, no pinching out, sticks, 12" gaps.
PT
KG Regular

The method I use for planting peas I think came from a very early KG mag. It's kind of sprouting them. Put the peas you want to plant in a bucket with a little peat and enough water to make the peat soggy give a good stir, cover the bucket and leave for 7 to 10 days.
When you look after this time you'll have sprouted blanched peas plant out at normal spacings.
No trouble with mice, rotting in the ground 100% of what you plant grows.
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Compo
KG Regular

Wow what great tips like the idea of germinating in peat bog conditions, consistency of thick porridge I take it? Will ordinary peat garden compost work? I have got lincoln this year and will use canes and nettings as I have raided the pound shop for it. Not very green I know, but I never said that I was anyway!!

I have put three to four seeds in three inch peat pots and am now planting them out with a cloche over at night, as my cold greenhouse has been quite warm this april. Can't modify this system at the moment unless anyone can advise me different??

Have good Bank Hol tomorrow hope the weather is good for us all.

Compo
Brenjon
KG Regular

Hi Dan Bennet
I like your idea of starting your peas off in a bucket with a mixture of peat, but with a lot of reservations .Perhaps you can explain what happens to the peas that finish up at or near the bottom of the bucket. Surely they will all not be ready to plant out at the same time, as the ones at the bottom will take longer to surface than those nearer the top and have longer blanched stems. I hope you understand my Query.
Regards Brenjon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic