PEAS

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

PT
KG Regular

Hello Brenjon

The peas are ready at the same time. It's just the same as sprouting mustard or mung beans. Some might have longer roots and shoots, but it's not a problem. Just plant them the smaller ones will soon catch up
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Brenjon
KG Regular

Thanks for the answer. Interesting as i don't know anything about planting mustard or mung beans.
Regards Brenjon
PT
KG Regular

Hi Brenjon
Mung beans are the bean sprouts you get in chinese food and spouted mustard is a part of mustard and cress for salads. They are sprouted indoors in the dark and eaten while immature. A very rich source of vitamins and minerals
"One of the healthiest ways to gamble is with a spade and a packet of garden seeds"
Brenjon
KG Regular

Thanks for the answer Dan.
Regards Brenjon
Brenjon
KG Regular

Hi Dan
When you make the mixture of peas and peat in a bucket to get them to sprout do I understand that you do not have too much mixture in the bucket, say abouit 1 inch or less, that way I can see that the shoots will not be too long for planting out.
Regards Brenjon
Compo
KG Regular

Have tonight sown some more peas in peat pots,and put some in a bucket like Brenjon advises but what no one has told me is why hazel and ash sticks are better than canes? do the peas catch on to the raggedy twiggy bits easier??
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Johnboy
KG Regular

Your'e there in one Compo. Peas throw out tendrils and they slide down canes but maintain the plant firm with Hazel Sticks.
JB.
PT
KG Regular

Hello Brenjon.

It's not an exact science as to how long the shoots and root are. It doesn't matter if they are 1/2" long or an 1 1/2" 12mm or 38mm long.

About an 1" 25mm is fine. The mix needs to be quit wet.

It's also not important if it's peat or leaf mould shredded newspaper or something else. It just needs to absorb water. Hope this helps.

By the way my names Peter not Dan

Kindest regards

Peter
Brenjon
KG Regular

Hi Peter
Sorry about the name mistake. I can't think where I got Dan from .Anyway I now understand fully your method of growing peas.
Regards Brenjon
PT
KG Regular

I don't grow many peas these days. Maybe 20 or 30 plants. And those are for grazing, they don't make it home. Grazing on fresh veg is the best, doesn't much mater what it is. I've always got something on the plot to nibble, what ever time of the year.
Peter
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi PT,
I love the term 'Grazing'. This morning I breakfasted on raw Broccoli as I find it wonderful at any time I fancy a snack. Another thing I love are raw Broad Beans as a snack. Who can resist a freshly pulled Carrot suitable cleaned? Wonderful!
JB.
Tigger
KG Regular

Raw asparagus - has a 'pea like' quality. then there's the intended raw stuff - otherwise known as fruit.........
Redcar Gary
KG Regular

Hi compo redcar gary here I have tried various tings from nets to canes but managed to get hold of some chicken wire and i thread it onto a few canes so that it forms a rigid net frame and have had good results for the last couple of seasons,palnted late this year,been a bit lazy but the good weather over the last few days here should start them off soon,

Hope that helps, Gary
Jenny Green
KG Regular

I do the same Gary. When the season's over you just pull up the canes roll up the chicken wire and put it all away until next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic