The colour of ripe peppers

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Yestday at our local fruit and veg stall I bought a couple of packets of red, yellow and green "bell peppers" at.bargain price as I haven,t grown any this year. I probably ought to know the answer to this question but have only previously grown the red and yellow ones before which obviously started off as green, I wonder whether the green peppers in the packets will turn yellow or red if I leave them to ripen or whether they will stay green. I don,t find the green ones as sweet and have placed them amongst my ripening chilli plants in the hope that they might eventually turn yellow or red but wonder if I'm wasting my time.?
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glallotments
KG Regular

Usually the colour of peppers changes as they ripen but some will just turn to yellow and others will become a blackish colour. YOu can pick and use them green as well.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Green peppers are unripe. There are no actual green varieties. I don't use green peppers myself — they're not ripe.
Allotment, but little achieved.
alan refail
KG Regular

...and they give you wind/indigestion :(
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I can't eat green ones at all as they upset my stomach. The only problem with ripening the green shop bought ones is that they sometimes shrivel up before they change colour.
Primrose
KG Regular

Do you think putting them close to some ripe bananas would speed up the ripening process? My previously grown bell peppers took quite a time to change from green to red when on the plants.
Monika
KG Regular

Ripe bananas/banana skins are said to give off a gas which induces other fruits and vegetables to ripen - perhaps it would be worth putting them with your peppers, Primrose?
glallotments
KG Regular

For the same reason you shouldn't have fruit near cut flowers as the gas they give off will speed up the decaying process.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic