Onions

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Hi Monika.

Are you putting the seeds straight into the ground, if-so, how does that turn out ? Presumably the seed onion crop a month or so later ?

I'm looking at growing things I can stick in the ground, I just realised people are starting broad beans right now and planting cauliflower they started a month ago. (Sorry to digress)

Even though onion isn't expensive and I don't use that much I do feel comfortable going into the garage where they hang and picking what I want. Same with carrot, I tend to buy more carrots than I use so they end up slimy in the fridge. Very comforting to pull a few nice sweet onions.

So, shallot seeds and sets ? I'm trying to avoid the big-two Unwins and Marshalls. Can you please recommend a supplier ?

To be honest i'm short of suitable ground and even though my fourth raised bed is built it won't be online until next spring if i'm lucky. I had even thought of plowing-up a space at the top of our paddock but to be honest it's all getting obsessive/compulsive. Once I get top-side of my outside painting i'll be able to spend more time playing hobby grower, so many things I want to grow. :? :? :? :?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:So, shallot seeds and sets ? I'm trying to avoid the big-two Unwins and Marshalls. Can you please recommend a supplier ?

Shallots from the shops, sold for eating, are perfectly fine for growing from. If you can find torpedo-shallots (which I saw on a market stall the other day) then so much the better because you get a bit more bang for your buck, is how I see it: a bit larger, easier to prepare with less waste.

Honestly, though, I am receptive to have a compelling case put forward as to why shallots are better grown from seed, because I don't see a good reason to do so.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic