Black Currant bushes

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Weed
KG Regular

I have some very old (20 years plus I guestimate) Blackcurrant Bushes on the allotment, they are pruned each year by taking out a third of the old growth but although they produce fruit it is always small
My question(s) are...
1. Should I keep the bushes where they are and feed more
2. Move the bushes to an alternative place.
3. Start again with new plants.
Finally.... I have never netted the Black currant bushes as I have always thought that the birds don't like them....don't ask me where I got that idea from...I am sure I am wrong :(
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Geoff
KG Regular

If you are pruning them hard and feeding them and they are not improving I think it is time to call it a day. Trouble is some of the degenerative viruses can spread by aphids so unless you can get the new ones a distance away it is not usually a good idea to keep the old ones while the new ones are establishing. I like my Ben Lomond but there are lots to choose from.
realfood
KG Regular

If replacing, try Ebony, a much sweeter variety.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Blackcurrants have the potential to deteriorate through the accumulation of viruses, almost always Reversion Virus, which is easy to spot as it changes the shape of the leaves. There's also Big Bud Mite. The remedy to both is the same, which is to replace the bushes. However, it's hard to avoid your replacements becoming re-infected / infested from neighbouring bushes. On my local allotments, nearly every black currant bush has Big Bud, and most have "reverted", but they remain, which in my view is irresponsible. Many are also hindered by some truly cretinous pruning — this also seems to be infectious.

Regarding netting, I've never netted my fruit, wherever I have grown it. Some may get eaten by birds, but not so many as to make a significant dent. A lot of attention is given to often over-engineered fruit cages (trellises for bindweed, sometimes) at the expense of the bushes therein. The way I see it, vigorous bushes properly tended yield plentiful fruit, plenty to go round.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I would say that at twenty years old it's time they were replaced, they don't owe you anything. A couple of different varieties is good to spread the cropping time a little.

I've never netted blackcurrants, they don't seem to be troubled by the birds, I do throw a net over gooseberries though as I object to each fruit having a hole in it! :( Reds I also throw a net over as the blackbirds will take them. Which is OK on a glut year but not on a light one. This year all my fruit bushes have cropped really well. But two years without a plum or a gage is the outside of enough... :cry:

MW
glallotments
KG Regular

I never net blackcurrants or gooseberries I am happy to share with the birds as they leave plenty for me but do net redcurrants and cherries as the birds will strip these given half a chance. I need to try netting blueberries too as there is never any left for me.
Weed
KG Regular

Thank you for all your helpful comments...I now have another little job to add to the list.
I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic