How about a second crop of broad beans ?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I suppose I would have been in-with-a-chance if I had sown some in pot's ready for when I stripped out the current crop.

Is it possible for me to have a harvest in October ? Has anyone tried it ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

Richard, I have never tried sowing as late as this, but if, when you cut down the first crop broad beans you leave in the roots and the bottom growth, you can usually get a few more small beans from this second growth. it doesn't work every year for me, but it's worth trying.

Anyway, when you "stripped out" the broad beans, I trust you left the roots in the ground? They carry lots of little nitrogen nodules which will disperse into the soil (for next year's vegetables) before you prepare the ground for next year.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Monika wrote: I trust you left the roots in the ground? They carry lots of little nitrogen nodules which will disperse into the soil (for next year's vegetables) before you prepare the ground for next year.

I wondered what they were, no, I didn't leave the roots in the ground but I did bash the soil and those white granules.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I have tried sowing broad beans in summer and the results were rather unsatisfactory. It was a long time ago now so I can't remember in what precise way they were unsatisfactory. But they were unsatisfactory nonetheless, so I won't sow them late again. There are so many other beans that crop well into early autumn. I usually sow dwarf French beans in July for an early autumn picking. They germinate rapidly in the warm soil, are always reliable and the beans particularly succulent and plentiful.

Regarding leaving broad bean stumps in the ground, I wouldn't worry about losing out on the nitrogen. If you've put the stumps on the compost heap, their good work will continue there.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I tried the 'cutting back and harvest from the re-growth' one year, I seem to remember that it was one of Johnboy's discussion threads. Anyway it didn't work for me. They did regrow and flower but the pods didn't set anything so I'm with Felix on this one grow some dwarf french beans instead; always good for a late crop.

My broadie roots usually go in the compost heap as I want their space!

MW
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm so desperate for fibrous planting material to mix with my soil that I always remove as much from around the roots from plants that were raised in pots so the broad bean roots went into the compost bin almost soil-less. I don't yet know what happens to the stalks, do they go soggy or harden. Either way they go into the compost but if they harden I will run them through the shredder.

So, Felix, my French beans this year after a scary start are doing very well and are twice the hight of last years so a direct sowing right now of another batch is a good idea ?

Last night for the first time in my life I ate double hulled broad beans in a salad with my own apple mint leaves and red spring onion amongst other bits and bobs though sadly my tomatoes are still green.

I'm desperate for another raised bed and a greenhouse for next year though quite frankly I don't need the extra installation work this year, it's all so satisfying.
Richard.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:So, Felix, my French beans this year after a scary start are doing very well and are twice the hight of last years so a direct sowing right now of another batch is a good idea ?

You might be cutting it a bit fine. I should have emphasised that I sow in early July, the first week. Unless we get an Indian summer, they may not make it.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic