Will these cabbage seedlings thrive

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

My savoy cabbage seeds didn't germinate so today I bought a strip of seedlings from a garden centre. But they are very short & stumpy and some of the leaves area reddish colour as if they've been exposed to really bad weather & taken a pasting. . Now I've planted them out, are they likely to recover and grow or have I wasted my money?
Beryl
KG Regular

If they are anything like my neighbour on the lottie has bought, no. His keeled over and didn't recover. I think I would have potted them up and given them some TLC before planting out. But you never know, they might prove me wrong. Best of luck Primrose.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

Better start sowing a few more then even if it,s a bit late and see I'd I have any better luck.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

My cabbages have been a total disaster this year but those at the school are looking pretty good - strange that as they are the same kind and grown in the same way :shock:

I'm not going to bother with any more this year, as I don't really have room for brassicas in my veg garden but I do love fresh cabbage - ah well, try again next season.

I hope your bought seedlings survive Primrose.

VPM
x
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

You can sow savoy into July and you'll get fairly decent results. If plants get stressed from being neglected, they can take a long time to recover — longer, possibly, than it takes for them to emerge and develop from a late sowing. Some savoy is better than no savoy, is how I see it.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Yes - either sow again or buy in and pot on indoors or greenhouse before planting out. Get a good root system and they will thrive. I've just planted out my 4 spare brussels sprouts. These were the weediest specimens which I didn't think much of but they were in roottrainers so have caught up and look quite good.

This year, because of the cold weather I have grown most of my plants on beyond the point where I normally plant them out and the results are looking good.
Beryl
KG Regular

Good advice Colin.

Beryl.
Wicky
KG Regular

How are they doing Primrose?
Primrose
KG Regular

Seedlings don't seemed to have moved at all but I'll leave them in and see what happens. Have resown and will let new seedlings grow on for a little in my plastic greenhouse just to give them a good start.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic