DIY seed tape. Easy-easy-easy.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Beryl
KG Regular

Thanks Rickard, you have provoked a very interesting discussion. I might just try this.

Beryl.
Primrose
KG Regular

I wonder how long these prepared strips would store for before they are sown? Do you think you could prepare them during the winter months and store them until spring when they're ready for sowing?
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: What kind of glue did you use? Was it something like a Prit Stick? I would have thought that might have stuck to the tissue as you were rubbing it over it.

Yes, it's a type of Prit Stick but mine is the pound shop so it's an unknown brand, the glue stick just glides over the paper, I lick it first. :D

I doubt the adhesive will do any harm, this sort of stuff has to be safe in the hands of children who suck everything. It's possibly a light pVA type adhesive. The directions say it's washable and non solvent free but it doesn't say non-toxic.

How about doing what Penny did, flour and water.
Last edited by Ricard with an H on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

I guess it depends on what is used to glue the seeds down, not sure whether the seeds would react with any gluing medium. It is certainly worth a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Geoff
KG Regular

Interesting discussion. On the glue front, photo-mount glue might work but being an aerosol not cheap or environmentally friendly.
I sow almost nothing direct in the ground. I raise everything in modules so Lettuce, for example, I sow a few seeds in each cell then single them to one as they germinate. All done comfortably at waist level on staging.
Might give it a try for roots (Parsnip, Swede, Carrot) that I do sow direct and thin.
By the way, Pennyroyal, you will still have to thin your Beetroot as each seed is a cluster.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

Oh yes, I remember now, that's sneaky!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

JohnN wrote:Why cut the kitchen roll into strips?

I've taken Johns idea and found it to be easier than faffing with strips. As I suggested I drew lines over two bits of k-roll so I could make a sandwich of the seeds.

Explanations aren't easy so here's another picky. Oh-hell, it's not obvious is it ? Thats a sandwich and I already completed three rows. Yes ? Next operation is to run glue along the top/upper sheet then press it over the seeds.

Am I making sense ?
Attachments
IMG_0620.JPG
IMG_0620.JPG (68.72 KiB) Viewed 6190 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

I wonder how having a whole sheet will affect how you put the sheet in the ground - when I did them before I just made a furrow wide enough to take the strip and placed it it, then pulled the soil back over. I'm thinking that the whole sheet would need treating is a slightly different way...
Monika
KG Regular

Thanks, Richard, and others. I am going to try that for things like swedes, wallflowers etc which I always sow too thickly. For carrots, though, I have found bought pelleted seeds most useful.

Re beetroot, Geoff, those beetroot varieties containing 'mon' (eg Monodot, Monika), do not grow in clusters but only produce a single plant!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Pennyroyal wrote:I wonder how having a whole sheet will affect how you put the sheet in the ground -

I'm still going to cut it either into strips or squares. Even circles.

Using whole sheets of K-roll meant not having to cope with fragile strips and whilst gluing seeds into strips wasn't much of a problem for me I was aware that I had the benefit of guillotine to cut strips.

Glueing on whole sheets of K-roll is much easier than glueing into strips and gives options of cutting squares or circles if you don't need strips.

I'm hoping this won't be my last message, i've been licking this glue-stick for two days now. At least we tested the toxicity of this particular adhesive if I survive the next few days.

I noticed that those of you who are to give this a go are to limit it to certain types of seed and that it's not worth the effort for others types of seed. Can we please call a spade, "A shovel". I don't want to be wasting my time after all you've helped me with to-date.

My last sowing of radish was fine, a few whoppers then some scrawny ones presumably crowded out by the whoppers. My salad mixes are always far to thick and the early damping-off problems I had might have been due to overcrowding.
Richard.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

I will do some carrot at some point, but have just bought some pelleted seed, so they will go in the plastic crate earmarked for them. Carrot and lettuce cause me the most problem with overcrowding. I might try it for some herbs too, onto circles for putting into pots.

I think it will be good for annuals, I have terrible trouble getting them in the right place. I could plan a whole planting scheme onto the kitchen paper and plant out exactly where I want them. :D
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Can you explain, "Pelleted seeds" for me.

Am I getting behind ? :D
Richard.
Pennyroyal
KG Regular

You can buy some seeds that have been coated - usually the tiny fiddly ones that need thinning - carrot are a prime example because it's thinning them that can attract carrot root fly.

The pelleted seeds are about the size of a mustard seed, so easy to handle. But you do get far less for your money.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Richard,
Pelleted seed are coated with a layer of clay and brightly coloured to tell you where you have sown seeds.
Moles Seeds are the company that have been producing a range of pelleted seeds for several seasons. I suffer from Arthritis in my hands and planting Carrot and Leek seed gave me real problems but with pelleted seed I find it much easier. Moles also do split prills with their range of Lettuces.
You may not get the same amount of seeds but you really do not need them because you can precision sow and waste nothing.
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks John.

Seems i'm three years late to be regarded as innovative with this DIY seed tape lark.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Yo ... eed-Tapes/

Oh-well, i'm really pleased that I can make a few tapes easily though looking at the price of tapes it's hardly worth the effort except for entertainment on a rainy day.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic