Green versus Red Basil

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Is there any difference in taste / flavour between the two varieties?
I've just sown some green leaved basil which I use regularly. Have some red leaved seeds and wonder if they're also worth sowing or whether there is very little difference between them?.
I'm wondering whether the red leaved variety turns a mushy brown if used in copious quantities in tomato purrees, etc?
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't know - growing the freebie red seeds but only 1" high so far.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Primrose,
I do know that the Red Basil started off life as an ornamental plant in flower bed arrangements and at the time people started to snick the odd leaf and said it was very good. Sadly I cannot abide Basil in any shape, size or colour so I am unable to really answer your question.
What I can say is that as an ornamental it proved to be quite hardy which is at least something in it's favour.
JB.
Primrose
KG Regular

I hadn't thought of growing it as an ornamental plant but might do so. Am sure it would give the slugs indigestion. I,ve previously planted a a rather ragged pot of the green variety in a border in summer. The slugs didn't touch it!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've just tasted the red basil that were free seeds and it is rather strong tasting and not very pleasant. Like you say it looks quite ornamental though. I will stick to the green sweet basil or the Thai basil in future for flavour.
pongeroon
KG Regular

Not impressed with red basil (seeds given by my neighbour who is called Basil!) . The green Genoese and bush basil plants have done miles better.
Chantal
KG Regular

I've grown red basil before and been singularly unimpressed.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've not tried the red, usually grow the normal sweet basil under the toms in the greenhouse but this year I also planted a couple that my OH had left over from a job and I think they were Napolitana (?). Much larger leaves and a pleasant peppery taste.

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic