What has everyone started off?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

In greenhouse, propagator, polytunnel??

Raining all weekend so I'm getting going - I'm feeling rather pleased with myself by not being tempted too early this year so hoping not spindley & weak! I've heated the propagator & soil & planning to sow - Sweetpeas, Brussels, Kale, some Cabbage, Leeks, Peas, Celeraic, Brocolli, Celery (which incidently is still growing outside 'the red one'), Onions maybe some Kohl Rabi. Not all going in heat but feel the need to get started!

What is everyone else going to sow or already got in...and is my choice too ambitious?

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Westi, have sown Sweetpeas, Peas, Broadbeans and cauliflower, they are all through now. Tomorrow i'm going to sow some Leeks, Cabbage and tomatoes.

So no, i don't think you are being too ambitious, just give them as much light as you can.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Hello all

Still trying to find my plot under all the brambles! Hoping to get a patch cleared soon and get a few spuds and leaves going.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

I've started my: Leeks, cabbages, tomatoes, various chillis, sweetpeas and marigolds :)

All in propagators on the windowsills :)

VPM
x
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Actually I can't decide between rice or water chestnuts....
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now i like that reply... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

I spent most of yesterday looking at the continuous rain and the sea of mud, resisting (just) the temptation to give up growing altogether. Raining worse today, but I sowed some lettuce, cabbage, pak choi and peas in the polytunnel. Shallots already rooting in trays and a few garlic well up in pots. Think positive :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
snooky
KG Regular

Not started anything off yet,lack of compost,so I took myself off to the local gardening centres to see what is about as I won't be buying from Wickes this year unless they have changed the formula from the rubbish they were selling last year.
Looking around these centres it seems that the prices have gone up,less compost in the bag and all the big brands have reduced their peat content.I opted for Erin compost having previously used it,and it felt as if (through the plastic bag) it had less "woody" bits in it.Paid £12.00 for 3 bags in the local independent garden centre.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Catherine
KG Regular

I've been buying seeds like crazy I have found a very good website for seeds at a very reasonable price. www.simplyseeds.co.uk - very speedy delivery and easy to order.

I have got some compost today but not been able to do any sowing yet. Need to clear the polytunnel out first.
Beryl
KG Regular

Much too early for me in my cold greenhouse all I have is onion sets in modules and potatoers chitting. Both covered with fleece, March is the earliest I start and maybe mid-March indoors for perhaps tomatoes and celeriac. Think iut might ber even lat er this year,. They will all catch up.

Bye the way Westi my Plum Beauty is starting to flower. Much too early again.

Beryl.
Westi
KG Regular

Ditto Beryl

Daft thing - how come it came so well recommended when every year it flowers so early? Fortunately it tends to flower again but nowhere near as many. I nursed one whole plum through last year which disappeared just near to being ready so in three years I've only tasted one - & that has been my entire crop to date! :(

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

An overwintered chilli is flowering on my windowsill it has ripe fruit too ! Planting broad beans, ,cape gooseberries, more chilli, tomatilloes, early peas and sweet peas in eco card containers, onion sets to use as eary spring onions under cloches with some strawberries. that's just the first wave, will wait for march to plant the rest :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
retropants
KG Regular

sprouts and onions in the heated greenhouse (small tubular heater on the wall, nothing too impressive!) and peppers, chillis and aubergines in the propagator. I Did contemplate buying seed potaotes yesterday, but I only ventured as far as Wilkos, and they didn't have what I wanted.
Primrose
KG Regular

Have a couple of rows of shallots under cloches, and just sowed some chillies on windowsill as they take ages to germinate. Everything under two inches of snow here, and it's been snowing since 9 am, so don't envisage much gardening being done for a while. Am expecting delivery of a bare rooted flowering shrub this week - definitely bad timing!
retropants
KG Regular

the snow is falling thick and fast here too, but not settling, it's been raining too much all night
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic