Dorset Coastal

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Flanjamin
KG Regular

Hi all

I've been growing veg for years, but all up north. I now find myself on a sheltered, south facing spot on the Dorset coast. Does anyone know when my last frost should be? And being mild is it possible to grow rhubarb (as I understand it needs quite a long cold period in the winter)?
Diane
KG Regular

I'm in south Dorset..and my rhubarb grows wonderfully well, year after year...no problem at all.
It's usually a lot milder down here..and I plant my tender crops out beginning of May - although I always have a bit of fleece ready, just in case. I also grow figs and have a healthy 40 year old grapevine growing on a south facing wall.

So - you'll have fun growing some of the more temperamental plants - they nearly all do well.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

DC
It gets cold enough for rhubarb. I am near B'mouth right on the coast so I risk getting out some of my plants even earlier than Chantel - I'd say about 70% are OK & the rest catch up! My rhubarb has been sprouting for about a month or so now - covered it with fleece just in case but it has decided it doesn't want that & is shooting up pushing the fleece off! Wait until you get your asparagus even earlier - you will love Dorset!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Westi
Westi
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Yes having spent most of my life either in the Pennines (wet and cold) or in Lincolnshire (dry and really, really cold) this place is very balmy! Although being right on the coast the house is battered by gales most nights, but the garden is very tucked away. I'm looking forward to trying all those things that were just too tender!
Westi
KG Regular

You haven't said where you are though yet! I'm Christchurch..2 blocks from my home to the beach but lottie is just a bit further inland & while I have no frost at home that 1/2 mile further inland to lottie with only fields around gets frosted!

It's better than up North for sure but growing here creates it's own challenges! You obviously have loads of experience so I suspect a season here will set you up to meet them head on.

Westi
Westi
Flanjamin
KG Regular

I'm near Weymouth in a cliff top cottage - windy but the veg garden(that the letting agent didn't tell us about, nice bonus) is sheltered, and has a very distracting view!
Westi
KG Regular

Oops - know all about distraction most of it because my mind goes country on lottie - hedgerow at back & then fields! Lucky you getting a hidden bonus - a sheltered vege patch on that coast! We are shielded by IOW so feel lucky also.

I'm expecting good posts from you Flanjamin - experience + a milder climate + a sheltered plot! You better post some pics over the season, but I will be :mrgreen:

Westi
Ps the last time I grew vege before lottie was in Aussie - I adjusted it will be easier for you at least the same hemisphere!
Westi
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Ha Ha I'm better at growing than technology! Unless my OH gets involved I never work out how to post pictures anywhere - by the way how do you add a picture to your profile?
Westi
KG Regular

Search it on website help Fj - been loads of posts about us trying to load pics - usually too big to fit! I've been trying to change my profile pic for yonks - but hey - it does kinda look like harbour bridge in Sydney & I did think I was rather clever to cartoon myself - (at the time)!

Westi
Westi
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Welcome to the boards Flanjamin and happy growing :)

VPM
x
Diane
KG Regular

Click on to "User Control Panel" - which is at the top of the page, on the left.....
then..click "Profile" (in left column)
then...click on to "Edit avatar"......and you'll see instructions...you can upload a pic from your computer.

It worked for me...but I did it ages ago..so assuming that it's still functioning ok. I'm scared to try to change mine in case it all goes horribly wrong now.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Flanjamin
KG Regular

Well so much for balmy Dorset! Even the privet hedge is losing it's leaves!

Managed to plant most of my spuds last weekend, and sowed some bits and pieces in the potting shed. Hopefully the milder (and wetter) weather we've been promised will come and rescue my freeze dried garden!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic