Blown Brussel Sprouts.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tracie
KG Regular

sorry for the delay in replying, been away.

The plants were all standing upright, and hsad brrn firmed in very well when planted, they had not been disturbed whilst growing.

There was plenty on the stalks bot not one of them was firm, right from the bottom to the top.

Can anybody recommend a variety to grow.

Thanks

Tracie
who needs the gym when you have an allotment
glallotments
KG Regular

tracie wrote:
Can anybody recommend a variety to grow.

Thanks

Tracie

We grow Crispus which is a club root resistant variety that performs for us where other varieties fail.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

For the last few years I have grown 'Brilliant' from Marshalls with success. This year particularly the sprouts are excellent; good size, good flavour and nice and firm. Just going round to the plot to pick for Tuesday's dinner!
Beryl
KG Regular

I have to say my sprouts are the best I've ever grown I think this year. Brilliant I always grow and usually Wellington but this year chose Hastings F1 as I couldn't get Wellington. I see from Feb. TKG on Sprouts it is being fazed out and they favour Montgomery to replace it. I think they do need a rich, well firmed in soil. TKG article well worth reading. They recommend feeding with sheeps pellets at the time of planting.

Beryl.

PS I love 'em, all the suggested ways and also stir fried shredded with orange juice.
retropants
KG Regular

all mine have bown this year, that's the first time it's happened to every single one. I normalyy get a couple of the lower ones on the stalk go, but the remainder are good. I didn't do anything differently this year, so maybe it was the rain?
Beryl
KG Regular

Hope yopu are not going to waste them Retropants. They are still good even blown ones.

Beryl.
retropants
KG Regular

oops, my mum dug them up and threw them away in disgust! I won't let her do that again next year!
Beryl
KG Regular

Oh dear what a shame.

Beryl.
John S
KG Regular

My allotments have course soil that dries out quickly but I can grow fairly good sprouts and I put this down to the varieties. I always grow F1s and find Brigitte the best early sprout that I am still picking and Wellington as the best large large, late variety. Cascade and Roodnerf also take some beating. The best sprout I ever grew was Widgeon but that disappeared about 10 years ago. I spoke to Suttons Seeds who told me it had been withdrawn for some European reason. I have never had any success with Bedford or Evesham but then again I live in Hampshire so perhaps the clue is in the name.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic