Maybe the appropriate time.

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Johnboy
KG Regular

Thinking a little into the future. If you have grown open pollinated, NON F1 hybrid, Parsnips and Carrots this year and wish to save seed for sowing is Spring 2014 now is a good time to transplant them to a place where they will not interfere with next years cropping.
If you leave them where they are in the row this year they will be a real nuisance next year but transplanted into a place where they can prosper without getting in the way you are assured of good fresh seeds of both.
If you do the job at this time they will never know that they have been moved.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Useful info Johnboy - do you cover your carrots to stop cross pollination with wild carrot ? I haven't saved carrots for that reason but I save most other seeds. After a couple of abortive attempts to grow horseradish thongs which were not cheap, I noticed a root of horseradish in my supermarket was reduced and sprouting at the end - it is now growing well in my garden despite having been hanging around the supermarket for ages lol
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Observation! Observation! Observation! Well done NB.
I do not cover any plants for seed as it would be a near miracle if your Carrot were to cross with a Wild Carrot. That IMHO is being just a little too over enthusiastic.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I just read that somewhere johnboy, so will grow more next year and give it a try as it works well for you. :)
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
alan refail
KG Regular

Johnboy

Just for the sake of completeness, how many roots do you suggest growing on to maintain genetic diversity?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic