Ripening Peppers

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Columbarius
KG Regular

Hi,
I brought some pepper seeds back from Italy last Easter (Corno di Toro Rosso) they've done well in the (unheated) glasshouse border and I have a dozen or so long peppers. But they're still green! If I pick them will they ripen, or just shrivel?
Russell
http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorusse ... hotostream
Primrose
KG Regular

I always think it's better to let them ripen on the plant if possible because that ensures a continual supply of moisture to them to stop the skin wrinkling, especially if your greenhouse is reasonably sunny. They need a combination of sun & warmth to ripen best. If you pick the fruit they may still ripen but there's a risk of the skin becoming less firm.
If you're worried about frost in your greenhouse, could you either throw some fleece over them at night or perhaps bring a few plants indoors to put on a windowsill or on trays by a patio window?
I have several pepper & chilli plants I've bought indoors for the fruits to ripen off which is happening, although the process does slow up a little at this time of year.
solway cropper
KG Regular

I leave them on the plant where they have two choices: ripen or stay green. Either way I can still eat them and, as primrose says, you are likely to better quality fruit by leaving them to ripen on the plant.
Columbarius
KG Regular

Thanks both, I'll try the fleece.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic