Leeks flowering!

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

All this strange weather has stressed my leeks - found about 1/2 of them trying to flower today! They are very tall but not very thick. Luckily I rescued some sickies from the lottie shop which are doing nicely so won't be without but was quite peeved to see my own seed sown babies suffering! Is it the weather or the variety..it was a trial packet I got with my seed order?

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Westi, was it Bluegreen Autumn from DT Brown? I received the free trial seed and sowed them as well as my usual Musselburgh which is the most hardy one for our climes. Both varieties were sown on 28.2. in a pot in the greenhouse, the whole pot planted out under fleece on 21.4. and the individual leeks planted out on 20.5. I planted 25 of each. About three of the Musselburgh have gone to seed but more than that of the free trial seed (Bluegreen Autumn), perhaps six or eight. So, to me it looks as if the free trial seed was a bit more touchy about temperatures.

I do use the flowering leeks for soups, just omitting the hard flower stalk.
Westi
KG Regular

Yep - sounded good but not living up to expectations. Won't be wasted but glad I had something to fall back on couldn't imagine winter without leeks!

Westi
Westi
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

mine did the same.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic