Moving rhubarb crowns

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

cedarcottagegardener
KG Regular

When is the best time to move rhubarb crowns?

Thanks,
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Cedarcottagegardener,

Welcome to the forum, its best to move rhubarb around November to January when the plant is dormant.

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Geoff
KG Regular

As I was reading August "The Garden" (RHS Mag) while it rained I spotted an article "Growing Rhubarb"
"After five years, vigour may start to decline. This indicates that the plants need dividing - lift the crowns from Autumn to early Spring (traditionally in November). With a spade divide into sections, each with at least one growing point, and replant."
It doesn't mention plant in rich organic ground but it does say feed with balanced fertiliser in Spring or Summer and to mulch with well-rotted organic matter, do not bury the crowns. Water in dry spells. Do not harvest in the first year and only lightly in the second season, so it is a good idea not to move it all at once to maintain continuity of supply.
Stephen
KG Regular

I haven't noticed a decline in vigour but I do manure the rhubarb generously. However, I had intended to split some of the roots, so that I can extend the rhubarb area.
I forget why I failed to do this last winter but I did.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Hi Cedarcottagegardener and welcome to the forum.

I'm splitting my rhubarb for the first time this year as well, so fingers crossed :D

VPM
x
Westi
KG Regular

Ditto - mine is looking ropey but it is time to divide - fingers crossed. Saying that the only help it gets is a manure mulch in the winter so I'm not too concerned - must be a bit tough to survive this far.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic