Achohca fat baby, easy to grow / fool proof - lol

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

alan refail
KG Regular

Nature's Babe wrote:Gee you guys are like a dog with a bone, careful you don't choke on it!

Hi NB

What an strange response! May I say, with respect, that if you post on any forum you must be prepared for reactions, either for or against. If you are not prepared for contrary opinions, just don't post!
You had two replies from people who had grown achocha, Plumpudding and myself, both expressing the view that it was not a suitable crop for beginners.
I grew achocha 15 or so years ago when I was going through a "grow anything new and strange" phase to see if I could find things worth continuing with. Achocha was one of the crops I "discovered" and, after one year, quickly "undiscovered". I did the same with "West Indian" gherkins.
I must confess that I grew Cyclanthera pedata Image
rather than Cyclanthera brachystachya which you are promoting.

It was billed as "one of the lost vegetables of the Incas" and I soon understood why they didn't go looking for it :wink: That said, it was nothing like as vigorous as your Fat Baby. My objection to it was that it seemed to be an interesting vegetable in search of uses. It tastes like cucumber; so grow cucumbers. It can be used like green peppers; so grow green peppers.

The instruction to grow in a greenhouse was surely malicious. Ben at Realseeds says specifically

It is a quick and vigorous climber and you can climb it up and over anything, including garden sheds, although it does need a sunny open spot. Definitely best outdoors though and not in a polytunnel, because it tends to take over if grown inside.

Regards

Alan
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

One of my books "Vegetables" by Roger Phillips and Martyn Rix (often fun to read) has an entry :

"Cyclanthera brachystachya is similar (to pedata) with five-lobed leaves and curved, softly spiny fruit which explodes when ripe. Both species require a long, cool wet summer to grow and then fruit in autumn and winter".

All they say on the edible front is "the thick flesh of the fruit is eaten raw or cooked and tastes like cucumber".

So not all bad - likes our current summer and lets you know when it is ripe.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Thank you geoff for keeping an open mind. :D

Alan I am not promoting, or even reacting,I have no wish to influence others, I am merely defending my right to my own opinion, as you are entitled to your opinion, so I am entitled to mine, others are capable of making their own minds up as I am.
Because I garden organically I value the plant as a magnet for hoverflies, I don't just plant for me but plant for predators and other beneficial insects like bees and other creatures too, it so happens I eat the fruits but I would probably grow it for the insects it attracts anyway, they keep my garden free of black and whitefly thankfully. I find this policy works for me, my garden has loads of spiders ladybirds, various ground nesting, solitary and bumble bees, bee flies, moths hoverflies, damsel and dragonflies, frogs newts slow worms etc and no major pest problems Now can we please live and let live, we are all entitled to our own opinions and I would not presume to try and change your ideas simply because they differ from mine.
I also grow cucumbers peppers and aubergines, the achocha fruits later, is hardier, is more productive, and withstands inclement weather better, I enjoy them all.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Colin Miles
KG Regular

Although this post has now been moved, may I suggest that we should all remember that many beginners do not have large gardens. They may also be new allotmenteers, as I have near me. Something which can spread like wildfire is not really appropriate for them however foolproof it may be.

Just a few thoughts.
alan refail
KG Regular

An excellent on-line book Little-Known Plants of the Andes with Promise for Worldwide Cultivation is worth browsing through. Click book cover to go to contents

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

I wonder if anybody will go back here to find some new wonder fruits.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... place.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62954866@N ... 607341087/

I guess there a lot of things in the world that could be developed into valuable crops if the research resources were available.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi NB,
I do not really want to labour the point but below is a hazard warning
from the seed company that you so endear.
Do we really need plants like this. The seed company are not as responsible as I feel they should be. This is an example of the other seeds they sell.
HEALTH WARNING.
DANGER OF EYE INJURY! HARD SEED IS EJECTED AT GREAT SPEED.
DO NOT HOLD RIPE FRUIT NEAR FACE.
HARVEST FRUIT AFTER IT HAS OPENED.
DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH FRUIT.

We know this sounds silly,
but we recommend that
YOU WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHILE HARVESTING AND PROCESSING FRUIT.

We know this sounds silly! I certainly does to me if not downright sheer stupidity!
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Exactly why I did not choose that variety Johnboy, it's a clear enough warning. I save a lot of seeds so don't buy very many seeds and when I do buy it is from a variety of sources not favouring any particular supplier, its more a case of who stocks the particular seeds I need and convenience !
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic