frosted potatoe crop

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Brenjon
KG Regular

My early potatoes have been affected by the recent frosts. Foilage badly frosted. will they recover and will i get a harvest from this crop. is there anything i can do to aid their recovery.
regards Brenjon
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Mine recovered from an earlier frost, but you could perhaps cover them with fleece ?
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
peter
KG Regular

I put lawn mowings along the top of the earthing up.
It acts as biodegradable fleece and lifts up on the growing shoots.

All you can do for your crop really is wait and see. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Colin Miles
KG Regular

They will probably recover. But suggest you cover at night somehow and maybe a bit of foliar feeding during the day to help them along.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

This week's keen frost has blackened the tips of my potato shoots too, even though they were covered with winter weight fleece, but there is still plenty of undamaged foliage, so they should recover if we don't get another keen one.
I've got some large pieces of cardboard handy, so I might put that over them at night if another frost is forecast.

Like the others say, they should be OK, and it shouldn't affect the crop if there isn't too much damage, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I'm sure they will be fine. Potatoes are robust things, having a big underground tuber full of energy. You can hoe the tops off two or three times and they will grow back. To deliberately kill one with glyphosate you have to spray some of the foliage on each of the stems which emerges from the ground - if yuo spray only one it will kill only the growth from the same 'eye' of the potato.

(Currently working on getting rid of volunteer potatoes from subsequent crops ...)
Brenjon
KG Regular

Thanks for all the replies I feel more confident now in getting a crop
Regards brenjon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic