Some things really like this wet weather !

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Nature's Babe
KG Regular

We have been enjoying a lot of tender huge radishes, planting another batch now! Spring onions are growing well. The fruit is all coming on in leaps and bounds too, the fruit is forming on the jostaberries, black currants and pear tree, blossom is forming on the loganberries and raspberries, strawbs are in flower. My chilli plants have fruit beginning to form, the bull peppers are not so advanced but doing well
In the greenhouse there are tiny bunches of grapes waiting to fill out and cape gooseberries overwintered in pots have the little fruit caylix forming already, when it warms up I will move them outside to make room for more tomatoes! The greenhouse tomatoes are beginning to flower and one has tiny fruit on it. With a mulch hopefully the ground will be moist till the fruit ripens - if this rain ever stops ! :lol:
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
The Mouse
KG Regular

I'm green with envy! :mrgreen:

I was wondering, do you heat your greenhouse, NB?
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
solway cropper
KG Regular

The radishes on the plot are just about the only thing outside that's actually thriving. Most crops are sulking but the radishes are some of the most succulent I've ever grown.
Attachments
radish2.jpg
radish2.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

It is a lean to greenhouse the full length of the back of the house Mouse
( giggles ), so it does get some warmth from the house, also it faces south.
In the summer I open the doors at both ends as it gets very hot otherwise. I don't have a heater.
Hi Solway, yes it certainly suits the radishes, putting some mooli in too!
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
Jude
KG Regular

Blimey! it's a bit different here! Apart from radishes which have split from sudden over-watering nothing is doing anything. Fruit forming on blackcurrants? Mine have only just started flowering! :shock:
Jude

There are more questions than answers.
Tigger
KG Regular

We've had a forest of asparagus this year, thanks to the rain, and the potatoes look promising, but the fruit's quite a way behind.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

Our asparagus did very well too, just feathery green now post harvest.
Rain again this evening, the sunshine shortlived, more rain forecast. :(
By Thomas Huxley
glallotments
KG Regular

We grow grapes in our cold greenhouse and the vine also has bunches of fruit.

As for the outdoor fruit - it's not liking the conditions at all. Hardly a cherry has set in spite of masses of blossom, most of the tiny pear fruitlets have dropped, the redcurrants have smaller fruits and are less prolific, jostaberries and gooseberries seem to have less fruit, the blackcurrants are late (we've usually picked the first fruits by now and there are no signs of ripening yet), no fruit on plums or gages (but this could be because last year was a bumper crop), strawberries are later - just picking a variety that should have been ready in May.

The raspberries, tayberry and blackberry seem to be setting well and apples and quince has set fruit as has the peach growing in a pot by the greenhouse - time will tell whether these fruits go on to develop and crop!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic