Hosepipe Ban

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Just missed out on the hosepipe ban as supplier is Wessex Water which isn't on the list at the moment. I don't mind at all as I don't like hosing too much except for the convenience if I'm late off work, as you don't always know how much you are giving each plant, not to mention the rude ones that hog the tap that get right up my nose! I also mulch just about everything when the grass clippings get up to speed.

What is everyone's watering regime for plants - which ones get the TLC and which ones do you leave get on with it with just a little drop? I always worry that the fruit trees are a bit neglected, salad & toms get every 2 - 3 days soaking (or set up drip bag), but it is the sneaky ones like celeraic & swede that I am unsure of.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, i'm trying to use more mulching these last couple of years, and finding it really does cut down on the watering.
My Runner beans get the most water, and i do give them a good soaking when i water them.

Most other crops i only water to establish, and when croppig, unless it does become very dry and the plants look like they are sruggling.

The worse thing people can do is water little and often, as soon as plants are put in, as the roots stay near the surface.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Beryl
KG Regular

I'm the same as OH I water well when planting and then mulch. Depending on what is cropping at the time, tomatoes perhaps and beans will come first.

Today I've covered my 4 open water tanks with a piece of wood to try and stop the sun evaporting what water I have in them.

Beryl.
solway cropper
KG Regular

It's quite easy to feel smug about things like hosepipe bans when you live in Cumbria but even up here we sometimes get water shortages. Last spring was very dry and my potato crop suffered as a result so if I have to choose I'd say they spuds get the lions share of any water going round. I have three water butts and also use grey water from the kitchen and bathroom as well as mulching with grass clippings.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I have a heavy mist system to water my runner beans but it is not normally put into use until the canopy has closed. When the canopy has closed they then get five minutes every other day that has not had rainfall and upon my judgement sometimes when it has rained. Each of my bean beds has 160 plants and I have found that five minutes of misting is totally adequate. A mist system actually saves water and to water by hand would take me best part of two hours and the watering would not be as even. My main volume is not that great because the water has to travel over half a mile from the water main before it reaches me and is down to about 300 gallons per hour so it works out at 0.078 of a gallon per plant per watering.
I am off a water meter and my water bills are not excessive.
The bean beds never dry out during the season because of the way the misting works.
I have other misting systems in operation for brassicas, carrots and parsnips but I try very hard not to water my potatoes and only if
we are in drought would I ever consider doing so.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Johnboy - could you replicate a type of mist system for outdoors?
I don't know but what if you linked some sprinklers or is the external influences (wind, heat etc) just too variable.

I only ask thinking it would be quicker than general hosing and if it saves
water could only be a good thing.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, Johnboys misting system is outside, unless i have misinterpreted your misinterpretation... :shock: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
The watering system is outside and the reason I wait until the canopy has closed to use it is because of the wind factor. No good watering the path next to the beans!
The heavy mist nozzles have a spread of about 36 inches maximum and they are really mini-sprinklers which can be regulated by screwing the nozzle caps out or in which means with a bit of tweaking you can get all nozzles to emit the same throw which means very precise watering. I must say that these are commercial rather than amateur but are very easily obtained from City Irrigation by anybody.
The nozzle caps can be screwed right down to give a fine mist which is used in my polytunnels in conjunction with a misting unit now very seldom used since my retirement.
By regularly misting there seems to be an ecosystem within the bean canopy itself. I always water at dusk and this means very little waste from evaporation. I can water 320 beans in 10 minutes using a manual control and the irrigation is double fed which means applying water to both ends of the irrigation pipe which very much assists with even distribution. It may sound complicated but in application it is very simple and very effective.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Thank you Johnboy for your response. I never realised this mist system was suitable for outside. I keep all my legumes together with a little mesh fence around them as the wildlife find them as irresistable as me so setting up a system like this could be perfect as it does have some wind protection.

Cheers again - will be doing some more research on this (& leaving the info around for Mr Westi as he will be keen to reduce the watering can carrying thanks to my gardening elbow!) :D
Westi
Marigold
KG Regular

Never heard of a hosepipe ban here in Ireland. but we get dry spells. We have an excellent private spring here too.

I have connected hosepipes and simply use the finger-cover method to spray. At dusk or early in the day. Never as efficient as God but we do our best. I rather enjoy it though. A peaceful work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic