Samphire

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Staying true to form at growing at least one new thing this year I saw these and thought what the heck. (Never tasted it mind but quite like the look of it and saltiness). There is a fair bit of info on the pack about watering it with salty water but not whether it like sun or shade - anyone ever grown it and any hints and tips?

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Westi

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8186
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Cheers Alan

Packet says it is a hardy perennial but will benefit from some protection. It says germination may be erratic but doesn't say how many seeds are in the packet but having a bit of a poke not many is the answer to that! Also recommends growing it in a pot. No mention of how long to reach it but will grow 12 inches. Got them from DT Browns who are usually OK but me thinks might be a while before I get a taste!

Properly be as bad as my peanut and chickpea trial - actually the chickpeas were lovely fresh but mice got most of them before me and I am going to try them again with more protection! (I wonder if the cat will be happy on lottie?) :D

Westi
Westi
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with your seeds, Westi. Here's a paper specifically regarding another Salicornia species, but there's some useful information about S. europaea in there. Samphire has a very particular ecology which is difficult to simulate in cultivation. But you might not need to. In a previous life, I did some research into littoral plant species and salt tolerance. The results showed that for nearly all the species studied, salt was tolerated rather than found to be an essential metabolite, especially when it came to germination. You may find this to be true of your Samphire: that is, you may find it's perfectly happy in fresh water. It doesn't sound like you've many seeds to play around with, though.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Westi
KG Regular

Thankfully I have a degree! (OK only nursing & business). What I make of that is not too much salt or too much heat but a good 50:50 concentration of light - recommended sowing is April to July by the pack but they'd have to get a bit of a spurt on from a July sowing to over winter even with protection! I'm thinking this is going to be fun and dependent on seed number when I sow might try a few different places on lottie.

Would be a shame if I didn't like it after all wouldn't it! :D

Westi
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

sounds like a fabulous experiment! I don't like the sound of it to be honest, and having picked up a bunch of fresh samphire during a holiday to Wells Next the Sea last summer, it doesn't look or smell very appetising! I juiced it to use in my soapmaking! It was very tough and stringy! Hope I havne'd dampened your plans at all.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Good luck Westi, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I'm also happy to share experiences of growing chickpeas. I've done this a couple of times and, especially after learning how wonderful roasted fresh green chickpeas are, might give it another go.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westi,
The Wild Samphire in Norfolk grows in brackish marshy areas which gets the occasional washing from the sea and it thrives.
I wish you the very best with your endeavour.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic