Nectarine Fantasia

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

glallotments
KG Regular

We bought a nectarine Fantasia last year and planted it in a large tub. It stayed out all through last winter and flowered in spring. We didn't expect much this year but it produced about 8 fruits which grew and swelled up the full sized fruits. They turned a rosy orange but the skin remained felty like a peach. Some fruits started to develop a brown rot so we picked the rest and they were delicious. My query is - if we'd waited longer before picking would the skins have lost the felty texture or is Fantasia really a peach?
Attachments
nectarine 005.jpg
nectarine 005.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
Last edited by glallotments on Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peter
KG Regular

Fuzz doesn't come off, so I reckon its really a Peach.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Yes, those are peaches. Nectarines start off glossy and stay that way. But never mind: nectarines and peaches are the same thing, differing only in their skins.
Allotment, but little achieved.
donedigging
KG Regular

Hi glallotments,
this is what Thompson and Morgan are selling as Nectarine Fantasia
Attachments
nectarine fantasia.jpg
nectarine fantasia.jpg (163.01 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
donedigging
glallotments
KG Regular

FelixLeiter wrote:Yes, those are peaches. Nectarines start off glossy and stay that way. But never mind: nectarines and peaches are the same thing, differing only in their skins.

It isn't that I mind Felix as the fruit was delicious - just wondered what I had?
glallotments
KG Regular

donedigging wrote:Hi glallotments,
this is what Thompson and Morgan are selling as Nectarine Fantasia

Hi donedigging - this is where we bought the tree from and it's what made me wonder what exactly we had bought as it looked nothing like the photo.
donedigging
KG Regular

Hi glallotments,
Might be worth an e-mail to customer services ( at Thompson and Morgan)to see if they can answer your query

Would be interesting to hear the answer..... You might even get a free replacement :)
donedigging
glallotments
KG Regular

donedigging wrote:Hi glallotments,
Might be worth an e-mail to customer services ( at Thompson and Morgan)to see if they can answer your query

Would be interesting to hear the answer..... You might even get a free replacement :)

I've sent an email and photos so I'll let you know what they say. As it is if it is a peach I'm still happy with it.
glallotments
KG Regular

It's a good job I didn't wait for it to defuzz as T&M have confirmed that it is a peach and it is most likely called Avalon Pride. What's more they are sending me a nectarine next year - that really is good service - I was happy with the peach!
donedigging
KG Regular

That is great news glallotments :)
donedigging
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Sue,
Thinking back on all the extremely hard work you did for us all I can think of no other person who more deserves a little bonus!
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic