Over wintering?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Marigold
KG Regular

I saw somewhere that New Zealand Spinach, which we have grown the first time this year and which is still cropping vigorously, can be grown as a perennial in milder climates.

Does anyone have experience of this, please? None has gone to seed so this would save buying new seed next year.

Also runner beans they say can be overwintered?

Thank you.
Beryl
KG Regular

Runner Beans are a perennial and will overwinter in mild climates, cut down and well mulched. I have done this as an experiment. They will crop again but I think it is better to use fresh seed.

Sorry can't help with hre spinach.
Beryl.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Marigold,
Like Beryl I have experimented with growing Runner Beans as a perennial and I have come to the same conclusion as Beryl. Best to grow from fresh seed every year. Runner Beans are a very easy seed to take and you can then be very selective as to the seeds you sow. I have collected some of my seed this year and I have some seed that are 35mm long but probably when they have fully dried out they will reduce a small amount but they are very good so far.
As for NZ Spinach I have not grown this for many years and then I treated it as an annual.
JB.
Marigold
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Hi Marigold,
Like Beryl I have experimented with growing Runner Beans as a perennial and I have come to the same conclusion as Beryl. Best to grow from fresh seed every year. Runner Beans are a very easy seed to take and you can then be very selective as to the seeds you sow. I have collected some of my seed this year and I have some seed that are 35mm long but probably when they have fully dried out they will reduce a small amount but they are very good so far.
As for NZ Spinach I have not grown this for many years and then I treated it as an annual.
JB.

Thanks; trying to save cash and because of the cattle invasion did not get to save seed from the beans..The NZ is going to be grown EVERY year. Love it and it goes on and on and on.. The dogs are eating it too....
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

If the winter is mild you will probably get an early spring crop of spinach but it will likely go to seed fairly quickly once the weather warms up. My bean seeds were huge this year too Johnboy.all in all a very good crop of wisley magic and moonlight.
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi NB,
I have bought a small packet of both Wisley Magic and Moonlight for trial next year. I have seen and sampled Wisley Magic this year and I was impressed but Moonlight seem to be a good bet to hedge from the comments on this forum. They will be grown well apart from each other and from my existing beans. There will be designated plants left for seed of both varieties So If I like them they will become part of my collection.
JB.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Runner bean roots are not worth overwintering, especially since they are so easy from seed.
It is said of New Zealand Spinach that it can be overwintered in mild areas, but by mild I think most literature means frost-free, because at the first hint of frost I find the leaves turn to mush. But again, like runner beans it is easy to raise from seed. Unlike true spinach, it does not easily run to seed if you do manage to coax it. It is terrific stuff, though, I must agree. I haven't grown it for a few years.
Allotment, but little achieved.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:Moonlight seem to be a good bet to hedge from the comments on this forum. They will be grown well apart from each other and from my existing beans. There will be designated plants left for seed of both varieties

Moonlight is a self-pollinating variety, so you may not need to take measures to keep it isolated. I will be trying this variety next year, too. It seems to me to be a significant breakthrough.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Felix,
Although Moonlight is said to be partially self pollinating I would suggest that this doesn't prevent Bees from cross pollinating it with other beans pollen. I do not take bean seed every year from the same variety because Runner Bean seed remains fertile for quite a few years so if I can keep them as close to how they came to me. I do take seed yearly but from different varieties in turn.
I appreciate that keeping them apart holds no guarantee that cross pollination can not take place. All beans are about 200ft apart and so far it has worked with no visual changes although there are bound to be differences.
JB.
Nature's Babe
KG Regular

I planted the wisleys very early and the moonlight late, so maybe less chance of cross pollination that way, the wisley seeds were all pink/black and the moonlight were all pure white. :D
Sit down before a fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every preconcieved notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature leads, or you shall learn nothing.
By Thomas Huxley
http://www.wildrye.info/reserve/
Marigold
KG Regular

FelixLeiter wrote:Runner bean roots are not worth overwintering, especially since they are so easy from seed.
It is said of New Zealand Spinach that it can be overwintered in mild areas, but by mild I think most literature means frost-free, because at the first hint of frost I find the leaves turn to mush. But again, like runner beans it is easy to raise from seed. Unlike true spinach, it does not easily run to seed if you do manage to coax it. It is terrific stuff, though, I must agree. I haven't grown it for a few years.

Thanks for this... So far the NZ is still OK even though there has been frost/ It was stiff with it when I picked yesterday. I was given a box of odd seeds from someone's cupboard and threw the last few lots in any old how.. Realised when it started growing that I had something special and identified it. In taste and texture it is more like a kale than spinach. A good strong healthy taste and texture...it is not a true spinach anyway. I was hoping it would run to seed but not a sign of it. I am very keen on seed saving and friends were going to share.. Found seed in Ireland at

http://www.bogachfarm.ie/vegetables/spinach+new+zealand
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Marigold, i just love your precise gardening term, ( and threw the last lot any old how ). :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Marigold, i just love your precise gardening term, ( and threw the last lot any old how ). :)

Hi OH,

A technical term known to many of us over the years :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Marigold
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Marigold, i just love your precise gardening term, ( and threw the last lot any old how ). :)

You can laugh! There I was, faced with a new 1/4 acre garden and so many odd half packest of seeds and so many seedlings to plant..
And the weeds! Oh MY!

So I did just that; threw 'em all in fast late in the season.. The irony is that they did better than the ones I sowed in plugs etc and pricked out etc. I have had small caulis, and the sprouts are from that batch too. So next year?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Marigold, i was laughing with you and not at you, just incase you thought other wise. :oops:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic